As I already mentioned, the weather here in the UK has been sweltering which really does make a change cos it's usually like Greenland here. It's usually all kinds of weather here actually but we normally only get a snifter of sunshine - which we sort of like cos then we can moan about it.
Because it's so lovely at the moment and I'm a freelancer I've been getting up early each morning (7am which is early enough) and taking a stroll down the beach. My main intention was to accidentally get a tan as sunbathing is boring, but seeing as my body is repelling UV rays like white blood cells destroy viruses it's lucky that I actually love Brighton beach as much as I detest walking cos that suntan 'aint happening baby.
As well as seeing all the sad faces of people dragging their heels on their way to work, what I really like is watching all the people killing their knee joints running like sweaty bastards along the seafront. In fact I'm amazed at how many people spend their spare time running and leaping about; it looks like torture to me and in this heat I'm amazed their heads don't explode.
I live very near to a big park and I often pop there of an evening to take a slow stroll round with my headphones on. I am always blown away by how many people spend their entire day at work then go to the park to exercise... for fun I was sitting with my new fella having a little picnic and a couple of gin & tonics the other evening and all we could see were people hard at it.
![]() |
| The view of some punching boxercisers from my bench |
On one side there were the very hot rock-hard young studs (my eyes kept straying in this direction) with their weight jackets on doing pull-up reps on some wooden structure, boxercise people running and punching like loons in one direction, military bootcamp people close to death in another direction, and lots of other runners struggling and schlepping around in between - and none of those people looked as happy as we were with our ice-packed drinks, meats and cheeses. Each to their own though I say. I'm sure they were happy inside.
When I go for a stroll there in the evening I do like to take a bench near to the boxercise people so I can watch them stagger around. I never have any desire to join in but I do like to see them suffer. I know a woman who has been going to these sessions for most of this year as well as hiring a personal trainer - I saw her last week and she is much fatter than she was before she started so clearly she's not doing it right.
I was going to write a post about my morning beach walks but I've managed to stray off course there somewhat. I'll write another post on the walk as I have some lovely photos. Brighton is very photogenic anyway but the beach at half 7 in the morning is just wonderful.


....."killing their knee joints running like sweaty bastards " That's me baby! My left knee gives a satisfying 'click' every now and again from running. I have also seen these boot-camps; if I wanted to get shouted at by a short man with a questionable 'tasche I would have joined the Army.
ReplyDeletelosing weight is 90% diet, all my trainers tell me that, and until you do it yourself, you will beat yourself up about it! you can work out like a maniac and eventually you stop losing weight. one of my trainers said you don't want to "work out just to eat" and that's what clicked for me...if I'm kicking my ass working out, I want to see results, and eventually you learn to change your diet too
ReplyDeleteHey Urb! I've seen those boot camp type things here too, and the cut young studs are just as distracting! I've never actually been a part of a boot camp, those folks are too hard core for me, although I do work out regularly. I lost 80 pounds about four years ago and have succeeded in keeping most of it off, but I did gain back 17 of it when my brother died. Now all 17 of these pounds are the bane of my existence! I need to either get them off again, or make peace with the way they seem to have all clustered around my belly....like they're at a cocktail party or something....assholes!
ReplyDeleteI've heard about Brighton and how lovely it is, looking forward to your pics. I love to travel vicariously through others. It's awesome and cheap!
These boot camps look very painful and people actually pay to do them. My brain would have exploded in my head if I was one of them and I couldn't think of many things I'd rather not do to be honest.
ReplyDelete80 pounds is a shit load of weight to lose - that's amazing! I know all about those spiteful 17lbs I can tell you. The 5:2 works but I keep forgetting to do it!