7 August 2013

A Problem

It's 6am as I write this and I have to say I'm a little bit grumpy. I've been up since half 5 and the choice was not mine.

My new boyfriend snores. He snores like a fucking percolator in fact and I must have had around 3 hours sleep last night if that - well I know I was awake at half 2 because I was here in the kitchen staring out into the darkness teary-eyed and a bit despairing. And this happens every time he stays over.

I've also got a friend staying and, as she's a doctor in the middle of 24 straight 14-hour days, I offered her my bedroom which means the cats were shut out into the hall and have managed to rip up most of the carpet trying to get in. My friend is staying for a month or so as I'm about to leave for the Festival I work at each August and she's going to flat-sit as she's relocating back to Brighton but can't find anywhere to live because she's being worked to death and has no time to look. The poor cow worked nearly 100 hours last week.

This wouldn't usually be a problem but, because I leave on Saturday, my new fella stayed over as we're not going to be able to see each other again before I go. What do you do about someone who snores apart from shouting "for the love of God, I'm begging you... begging you to shut up!" right in their ear? I try to get him on his side but of course I have to be awake to do this and once I'm awake... well you know how that works.

I think he's allergic to the cats so I hoover the flat and the bed before he comes over, I change the sheets, I use a rubber brush on the carpet to get more fur out, I open all the windows and I've also started using some cat lotion that you rub on them once a week to help allergy sufferers. I've only used it once so far and you have to apply it to them weekly. It wasn't cheap either. 

So now I'm in the same situation as Sunday where I slept so badly the night before that I had to try and sleep in the afternoon so I could feel half human. I've also got so much work on with the festival that I could despair - I so don't need to be tired today. I tried ear plugs when he last stayed over (attractive) but he rolled over and snored right into my head.

I'm a really good sleeper as well. I'm quite a light sleeper but I never have problems getting to sleep on my own and I would even go as far as to say it's something I do really well. I'm just not used to this 'being awake in the middle of the night and crack of dawn' shit and could really do without it frankly.

Any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. My fella sometimes snores, and we found that using the strips that you put over the top of your nose work for him - much better than having to punch him in the ribs! I've heard that people snore for all sorts of reasons though, might be worth him running it by the doc ... I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny.

    How come snorers wake everybody else, but not themselves?

    Only solution is separate sleeping arrangements. Not their fault, but, really, I'd be ready to kill. Hell, no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wolynski - he does in fact keep waking himself up. Not enough for him to really notice it but just slightly. He's been wondering why he sleeps for ages at mine (the opposite of my experience)and I reckon this is why. I don't think he snores at his house so it must be the cats.

    latarzane - I've ordered the strips and a nasal spray. This was NOT a problem we had anticipated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got nothin for ya. I just relish in my single-ness when I feel down, and think...at least I sleep well. Most guys snore, right?? The last guy i dated had sleep apnea, and worse than his snoring, was the freaking breathing machine he had to sleep with. It was loud and if he spooned me, it blew cold air right on my head and made me feel sick in the morning, if I ever fell asleep!

    I miss the carefree days of youth where a) we didn't have medical/snoring problems and b) if we did, we were too drunk and passed out to even care.

    ReplyDelete

Waddaya think?