Today I made my first batch of lemon curd and I am so pleased with myself I could explode! As you know, I'm not into cooking AT ALL but I don't mind making cakes, biscuits and sweets - just not the dinner. I never really bothered before I moved in as I would weigh 15 stone by now.
BBF is getting into preserving things (pickles rather than dead animals) and got a couple of books on the subject for his birthday the other week. I've always liked lemon curd and it looked quite easy, so after being hassled today because the lemons he bought me had been sitting there for days, I sorted my shit out and got cracking eggs.
It was indeed really easy and I'd made 3 jars before BBF even got back from the dentist (the irony is not lost on me here) I am SO chuffed with myself. At Christmas I made some chocolate truffles, peppermint creams and rose creams, and the other week I made some coconut macaroons. Get me.
I have no inclination whatsoever to make the dinner and luckily BBF is an astonishing cook so I generally don't make any meals at all - he once informed me that I was "the worst cook in the world; you can't even make crumpets in the toaster!". And he was not wrong; I had indeed served up crumpets that were frozen in the middle. Luckily I just lounge around waiting for him to serve up my lunch and dinner each day so I don't have to worry about it - I SO fell on my feet with that one!


I bloody love lemon curd on warm crusty white bread! My God, I am salivating thinking about it. These look like little jars of heaven.
ReplyDeleteYou now need to make yourself a gingham apron to wear when making your treats. P'haps you and BBF can have matching ones...
OMG!!!! What is happening to you??!!! Lemon curd??? Tell me what you have done with Urban Cynic - you are clearly an alien who has taken over her body in a frenzy of home making hysteria. Sarah x
ReplyDeleteYes, oooo get you! Please don not spontaneously combust over your lemon curd. Make tarts they are my favourite. I once made jam with fruit from the allotment, I felt like a proper woman.
ReplyDeleteNow what do you eat lemon curd with? Never even heard of it, but it sounds exciting.
ReplyDelete