13 February 2009

As It Should Be

Around 9 years ago I met someone - we fell in love and were very happy. Sadly he didn't like the town in which I lived; it turned out he was a very much a Northern boy and after a while he returned home. After a few months of travelling back and forth I decided to move to where he was and he bought a house for us to live in. Unfortunately It turned out that I was in fact very much a Southern girl who hated his town with the same passion that I loved and missed mine.

After what I can honestly say was the most unhappiest year of my adult life, I made the decision to leave the first man I had truly loved to return to the place I loved more than him. I knew that if I didn't then I would lose myself completely and make him as unhappy as I was. The last time I saw him he was standing watching my coach pull away as I headed back to Brighton - he then had to go back to the empty house that he'd bought for us to start our new life in.

This evening a mutual friend told me that he'd just gotten married. I saw the Facebook photos and he looked really happy and in love. He was smiling at the dark-haired woman in the white dress - the woman who could just have easily have been me. He looked exactly the same as I remembered him, he was looking at her the way he used to look at me and I felt glad that he was happy and marrying the right person. I then walked all the way home in the rain and threw away the last 2 photos of him that I had kept.

3 comments:

  1. aw. :( hope you have since met the love of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad. Love is such a double-edged sword. When we truly love someone, all we want is for them to be happy...even if they become so without us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love is hard isn't it? I found myself googling my first love's name the other day...ridiculous as I am very happily married and my first love was awful to me. Still, first love is special and they always hold a little corner of your heart.Hope you're ok.S

    ReplyDelete

Waddaya think?