The other day after meeting a client in town I decided to take myself to the small Biba Exhibition at the Brighton Museum. I didn't really know much about Biba as... well, there's no other way to say this really... the clothes are bloody hideous.
![]() |
| Jacket is ok I spose. What the hell is that on the left? Like the hat would make it better. |
Although I think some of these outfits are the ugliest, skin-crawling things I have ever clapped eyes on, I completely appreciate that until Biba girls didn't have much choice in what they wore. They basically wore what their Mums wore - as opposed to now, where Mums squeeze their wrinkly ageing arses into their daughter's clothes instead.
![]() |
| The white dress is nice |
Later, when I was in the vintage section of the museum gazing at a gorgeous tiny, lacy cream slip embroidered with black ballet dancers, I got chatting to an older lady who was also admiring it. She said she'd also just been to the Biba Exhibition which had really taken her back as she'd been one of the original wearers of the clothes. She said they'd caused such a stir that, even if they didn't really like the styles, they were so desperate to display their individuality they'd pounced on them.
Again, although I personally find the sludgey colours and cut of most of the clothes particularly unattractive, I do also love the story of the rise of Barbara Hulanicki who designed them. She came from nothing and made her creations and stores the talk of the town whilst undeniably starting a movement that changed the world of fashion forever. Which I guess is a good thing!
It's a shame that a lot of affordable clothes today are so very ugly. They're almost designed to be thrown away after a few washes as they lose their shape so quickly. I once walked empty-handed out of Next as every coat I tried on was falling to bits, and once every single item I took in to the changing room in Zara either had buttons hanging off or loose threads. Which is disgraceful. Even if clothes are cheap they should still be fit for purpose - and it goes without saying that they should also be beautiful.





I kind of like the little raincoats - so ugly, they're good.
ReplyDeleteI'm of the age that remembers when Biba was THE rage of London - took over a whole department store. Never mind the ugly clothes, it's the ghastly purple-brownish lipsticks and nail polish that seem to be Biba's lasting legacy.
I would wear all of these!..Possibly not the jumpsuit tho, I would look a fool.
ReplyDelete