4 June 2011

Seek And Ye Shall Find


Sometimes when I'm just pootling about on the Internet, I press the 'Next Blog' button at the top and take a little tour around Blog land; it's kind of like staring into people houses when they've left the curtains open in the evening - you know you shouldn't be nosy, and there's never that much to see, but the mundaneness still makes you want to have a look!

Most of the blogs are pretty dull; they're the diaries of families mostly so there's the usual photos of kids and lots of people you don't know grinning wildly into the camera at some event that involves food and trying to have lots of fun through group activities. Although I've seen loads of these blogs now I'm still quite surprised at some of the lines I read. These lines are always to do with Jesus.

They'll just be talking about something normal and then they'll drop in the line "I'm just so grateful for the gospel", or "on our way to church...", or they'll just randomly quote a line from the bible. Personally I immediately tiptoe quietly back out in case they see me, warily glancing behind each shoulder. I suppose it's because religion isn't really that dominant over here in people's daily lives whereas all these blogs are (always) American and it clearly plays a much bigger part in theirs.

The religious comments are so casually mentioned that you can tell it's part of their daily thoughts and routine, whereas nobody I know voluntarily talks about their religious beliefs at all - well unless they're wearing a dog collar or a Yarmulke! It's just not a big thing over here and, although there's lots of different religions being practiced, Christianity isn't really one of the big day-to-day players so you don't often hear people banging on about 'our lord Jesus Christ'.

I still enjoy bouncing from blog to blog though, and I suppose it's safer than peering through strangers windows from the street because at least they can't see you critiquing their lifestyle and decor choices. So if you've never gone blog browsing before then I suggest you try it; it certainly takes you to some interesting places!

6 comments:

  1. You're right - its just like travelling home on the bus and looking through people's curtains.There's far more mention on American blogs of religion - we just don't seem to do all that over here at all. Still, its interesting to go visit! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Charlene and you're one I can't post to with my Google ID. Anyway:

    I do the voyeuristic peeking at blogs and then the tippy toeing out when I see the "perfect family" and their statements about "their" lord and savior. It's the same when political types shout "God Bless America" assuming we are somehow more worthy of god's blessings than someone in Tangier. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am in love with you.....are you married?....it doesn't matter.....I am harmless and only want you to be my friend.

    I particularly adore the poster above, explaining a certain group of religions in 50 simple words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true! I love the pics and everything you said is bang on! Most of the blogs are really super dull,but still, you can't help reading them.. and I've noticed this with relgious people too, and they are usually American. What if we did that, like just be having a conversation and suddenly burst out with, "no thanks to god",or something like that..
    and..if you peer through windows you can't hear anything, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the nudge. I am glad that all seems to be well over here.
    I find religious people a little scary. I guess what you don't understand scares you. I do like blog browsing but as you know have been awol for a while. I also like clicking on my interests in my profile this finds people with the same interests which can be entertaining. You won't find a lot of religious reference over at my place but feel free to peer through the window,
    This is K by the way, I have no idea why I am coming up as anon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm telling my Dad about you lot and you are in for a world of pain let me tell you. It's fire and brimstone for the lot of ya.
    What is brimstone anyway? Must ask the old man..

    ReplyDelete

Waddaya think?