Well I've been busier than a one-armed bricklayer in Baghdad as per usual but have made time this evening to write a quick Star Trek Girl Post. For those of you who are not familiar with this, this is where I write a quick open round-up of life in Blighty for my friend who lives overseas.
Star Trek Girl has a fascinating blog if you are interested where she writes about life where she is currently stationed. She spent over a year in Amman in Jordan and is now in Muscat for 2-4 years. Her blog is all about the culture, the food, the history and the people of the country she is in and it makes for some truly exotic reading. Although these posts are mainly for her, I am more than happy for everyone to read them!
So my friend, I cannot believe how hot it is over there - 51 degrees sounds pretty icky but you do now have a pool to balance it out! I imagine some major G&T drinking going on in there and I can't wait to come and visit you to see that amazing sea view for myself. You're not missing much over here; the weather has been abysmal, although I remember last June was scorchio (well tepid compared to Oman but it's all relative after all!) it has been rainy, dreary and a bit cold. Apparently 'the ground has needed it' though!
BBF and I went up to visit his cousin and their family in The Big Smoke for the weekend and (pathetically) one of the highlights for me was driving over Tower Bridge and then espying the Tower of London! I was beside myself as you can imagine as I've yet to visit it. Just knowing that the place is over 1000 years old is enough to make me nearly wet myself. His cousin is a personal trainer and is pretty Hench (the new word for Buff amongst the kids) and we had a great weekend with them.
After chatting to him about being overweight and unhealthy, I have embarked on a non-carb diet - well way of eating, and am trying to cut out sugar altogether too. I'm completely addicted to sugar and after once reading that 'Cancer loves sugar' I'd mentally decided to cut it out before but just never did. After pinching my back (mortified) he said that my body hated carbs and that I should cut down on them as much as possible if I can.
So I've given myself a month to cut out carbs and sugar as much as possible - sugar is hard as although I've stopped eating sweets and cake (may the Lord take me now) not having any in my tea or coffee is a step too far. I've got it down to one small spoonful though and I'm going to reassess the situation in one month. I feel really positive about doing it and I've stopped smoking again as well. Once I see some results I'm going to see how I go but will probably introduce limited carbs again - plus the odd slice of cake I'm sure!
The thought of going into my 40's 2 stone overweight makes me feel shit and I'm going to try and sort it out. Talking to him was a real eye-opener as apparently even semi-skimmed milk is bad for you as they blast it to fuck and the fat molecules get so small they enter into your bloodstream instead. I'm not going full-whack Atkins but just high protein, lots of veg (yes, me) and nuts, seeds and dairy... I'll keep you posted!
All is well with little Dillinger who is becoming a catten now. He is so vocal I could throttle him sometimes but he has made friends with the entire street and goes tarting up to people walking by with very little shame as far as I can see. He goes all cute and lets them pick him up for a cuddle - he's so soft that they can't resist the little blighter! He is so lovely though that I would forgive him anything.
Actually that's it from me now as I've just talked to you on Skype! Missing you like mad and can't wait to see you when you come back for a few weeks in July. BBF is out so I'm going to catch up with some guilty TV on iPlayer and have a sneaky peek at Grazia Magazine! x
No comments:
Post a Comment
Waddaya think?