7 April 2010

Bollocks To Recycling

I think I'm going to give up on this whole saving the Planet business - James Lovelock, says that, although unwittingly, we've ruined it for ourselves and we're all fucked. The Planet will be fine and will happily just plod on anyway; it's just us that will be brown bread. And I say good; couldn't have happened to a more undeserving species.


Since I was a child I've been very concerned with the environment; I remember being confused that if we used everything up and turned it into a rubbish tip then we wouldn't have anywhere to live - I also had a nagging suspicion that this would happen anyway. I've never had much faith in the human race; I've studied history and we're an arrogant, greedy, unpleasant bunch. So we've hacked away at it, built over it, choked it, and drained it of all the resources we can reach - and we've sealed our fate to do so. Well, I say 'we' ....I didn't do this and nor did you.


Most of the Planet (save North Korea obviously as they're cowering in the dark) is lit up like a Christmas tree so my energy-efficient light bulb and meagre recycling attempts are a pitiful drop in the ocean. I think it's all bullshit; I don't drive, have no kids and rarely fly, so my carbon footprint is sod all, yet suddenly it's up to me to help sort the whole thing out? Sorry, too late because I'm not interested any more.


Personally, I think that the sooner Earth gets rid of us parasites the better. If we're serious about fixing the Planet then we should either all kill ourselves or attempt to stop the World's Governments from doing what they're doing. I don't see many people giving up their cars; people may say they're environmentally conscious but they don't like to be inconvenienced and will only give up their cars when the reason is cost. Everyone turning off their lights for an hour is also just nonsense when you can see Vegas from space - It's long-term solutions that need to be implemented not one measly hour. Yes I know you have to start somewhere but we're leaving it a bit late dontcha think?

So I've now decided that I don't actually care any more. We knew what would happen and we did it anyway because that's what we're like. So I'm taking Mr. Lovelocks advice to 'enjoy life while I can'. Although I'll probably continue to recycle now that it's a habit, I know that it's pointless and anyone who thinks otherwise is endearingly optimistic yet deluding themselves. I'm therefore selfishly going to opt out of 'Saving the Planet' because I think it's better off without us; in fact, I'm off to put the heating on and run some taps in order to move the whole thing on a bit.

40 000 - Tigers on the planet in 1970
3200 - Tigers on the planet in 2010
2.4 - million pieces of plastic enter the World's oceans every hour
270 000 - estimated number of sharks killed every day for their fins
20 500 - number of tuna fished every 15 minutes
4 - children die every minute because they don't have clean water
1000 - tonnes of CO2 emitted every second
200 000 - acres of rainforest destroyed every day (1.5 acres every second)
40 - years before the last rainforest is gone
500 - known species that have been made extinct by man

5 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I am not feeling the love for the human race here! Surely we must be more than just parasites? what about all the amazing things the human race has achieved?
    However I do agree about the recycling when you visit somwhere like America and see the waste rinsing out your jam jar and carefully placing in the green bin seems pretty dam pointless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all China's fault. I haven't actually seen them do anything to stop destroying the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've managed to neatly vocalise everything I've been saying for years - except coming from me it sounded like an incoherent rant.

    I worked out years ago that the only real power I had was to take as much responsibility for my own actions, make as little impact as possible and thus feel as little guilt as I need to.... and pray for a friendly pandemic.

    I though 28 Days later was a family friendly fairytale, if only life was so simple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could be like you. I really do. But.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on this one. Over here a home is being foreclosed every 7 seconds - funny how saving the planet is not a priority when you have nowhere to live.

    Just saw "Capitalism: A Love Story" - very good, but his belief in Obama is very naive - he got punked.

    Loved "An Education" - lucky they found Carey Mulligan - it all depended on her being believable.
    The scene where she meets the wife - just the tiniest nods - now that's really fine acting.

    ReplyDelete

Waddaya think?