28 February 2010

What Did You Just Call Me?

Just noticed that I hadn't written anything 'proper' for a little while. It's been a busy old time since I moved in and things are going well; you'll be pleased to hear that I've lived here for 11 days and I still like it!


The busyness has continued but in a good way; I've seen a few films, am meeting with the second of 2 potential new clients tomorrow and my social life is ticking along nicely. My mum and I have discussed going on a cruise up the Nile for my birthday next November (it's a big one - shhhhh....!) and I've decided to go and cook her dinner on Mothers Day - either that or my Dad can pay for us to go out!


The only cloud hanging over me is a little 'misunderstanding' I've had with the BBC. I went online a few days ago to see what was happening about that TV programme Child of Our Time, as it used to be on at the beginning of the year and I hadn't seen it for the last 2. When I went to the website, I saw they were doing a national personality test to be broadcast in the Spring so I thought I'd participate - but they tricked me and now they think I'm an (wait for it) extrovert!


What I think happened is that they asked whether I find it EASY to talk to strangers not whether I LIKE talking to strangers. I'm a huge introvert and would go as far as to say I have somewhat misanthropic tendencies - I like individual people (kinda) but am not remotely interested in groups of people or strangers in general. 

I prefer my own company or the company of virtual people who I can interact with at a time of my choosing and, although I am interested in human psychology, I prefer to come to conclusions by watching people not by actually talking to them!


Then, by categorising me as an extrovert, they threw all their other theories and findings out of whack and didn't know where to turn. Maybe I accidentally ticked a wrong box or wasn't focussing properly, but now it's a few days later and I still feel quite affronted! Extroverts are loud, obnoxious bores who spend most of their time either showing off or trying to validate themselves and their poor self-esteem... the personality they described was a stranger to me.


Yes, I can speak to strangers in social situations because I'm talented; I make an effort and I'm good at pretending I care about strangers lives at parties. But given the choice, I'd prefer to be at home watching telly, on my own and loving every minute of it! I'm one of the biggest introverts I know - I'm just a good liar.



4 comments:

  1. I am an out and proud introvert too !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a sneaky suspicion I might be a bit of an extrovert, and I really do enjoy meeting strangers and socialising - but trying hard not to be loud and obnoxious about it. Sorry if I fail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to say that I was an introvert; now I just know I'm a trainee hermit ;-)

    I've given up bothering with tests like that now. I don't need any more labels and if I fancy one I'm quite sure I can make one up for myself.

    The important thing is whether you're happy - and it sounds as if you are, so that's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going on a nile cruise in September I am sure it would be a fabulous birthday.
    I think I may be an introvert with extrovert tendencies. I like people to notice me but that doesn't mean I actually want them to talk to me. Like you I love my bloggy friends you can turn them on when you need them.

    ReplyDelete

Waddaya think?