20 February 2010

Missing Dexter


I dreamed of Dexter again last night. I've only had half a dozen dreams about him since he died (nearly 5 months ago now) but they always linger long after I wake up.

The strange thing about last night was that I was very aware that he shouldn't have been there. In the dream, I remember saying to someone "maybe there was a mistake because look: there he is and I can hear him breathing" - and I really could hear him breathing! But then as soon as I realised he shouldn't be there he disappeared and I couldn't find him even though I looked.

Usually he's just hanging around and chilling out, but once I dreamed I was trying to stop him escaping out of a car window - but he struggled free anyway and I lost him.

I don't mind dreaming about the little fella, but I just wish I didn't feel so sad when I wake up... I really miss him.

5 comments:

  1. Dreaming of those who have passed on is quite a phenomenon, I think. I dreamed of my dad quite a bit after he died, and I always welcomed him. I was aware that he was getting progressively younger, smarter, and farther away. The last dream I had was a couple of months ago. He called me on the phone, but was so far away that I couldn't hear him.

    The dreams always comforted me, and it doesn't really matter to me whether the origin of them is spiritual or psychological. I wish you could have the same comfort from yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Maurita (I sent you an email with my twitter name as promised by the way) I am starting to feel comforted by the dreams but I also feel like I lose him over again every time I wake up. I wish he wasn't in the dream but here instead.

    I had my other cat Fraidy for 14 years & we were as close as they come; but I never dream about her. I don't feel as sad that she's gone because I had her for such a long time & she was older. Dexter was bought to fill a Fraidy-shaped gap when I was utterly distraught & it was very sudden when I lost him. Maybe that's why I'm STILL so effected even now. Sometimes it's as though he was never here, but when I say that I dream about him...

    Thank you for being so kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wolynski - I can't have a cat where I live now, but I'm saving up for a place with a friend which will have an outside (safe) space so I'll be getting another cat this Summer. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't received an email from you. Did you send it to mauritamason (@) gmail.com? Last night all I had to read on Twitter was that Paris Hilton was about to run out of gas. Then she posted a photo of her gas gauge on E.

    ReplyDelete

Waddaya think?