9 December 2009

Not The Way I Roll

Leading on from my last post; I had another experience yesterday that hammered home my suspicion that family life is not for me... I accompanied my landlady and her daughter on a food shopping trip.

Included in my rent is all my food; she cooks every evening and I can choose to join them or reheat my meal later. Obviously this means that at some point she needs to go to the supermarket and stock up on food for the next few weeks - I had managed to avoid this so far but last night I was roped in to help... It was horrendous.

I CANNOT BELIEVE that this is what families do all the time! I simply cannot believe it. It was really stressful; we had to drive there, she bought shit loads of stuff so the trolley was piled sky high, I had to try and manoeuvre this around the store, whack it all onto the conveyor belt, try to get it all into a billion bags, put it all back in the trolley, wheel the damn trolley to the car, transfer it all again to the car, drive home, transfer it to the house and then put it all away. The whole thing took nearly 2 hours! 2 hours!

My usual experience of food shopping is to grab a basket, stroll casually around with Mozart on my Walkman (has to be classical or I will one day actually kill someone) thinking to myself 'now, what exactly do people eat?' I then wander the aisles picking up nice condiments and ready meals so I don't have to stop doing something enjoyable in order to cook (read prior article about my hatred of cooking) I may loiter in the magazine section, but I would estimate that I am in and out within 20 minutes - done. Finished. Over - jobs a good 'un.

I had no idea that this was something that people go through, and on a regular basis as well. I'm still traumatised and shocked by the whole ordeal. I'd HATE to do that all the time; it was not fun in any way. I imagine that you'd also have to take into consideration what everyone else would want, the kids would be demanding stuff and hanging off the trolley. it was a right effing hassle and I can't convince her to shop online.

I'm going to have to come up with a marvelous excuse to get out of the next trip - either that or I'm taking a Valium an hour before.


2 comments:

  1. That is hysterical but only as it's so true, you got the horrors of supermarket shopping spot on !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Liam - you can do that here as well. If you're a sensible & sane person... or me.

    She likes to see it all apparatnly, to get the bargains. I would prefer to fork my own eye out than do that again.

    David - I see you're familiar with the torturous process & its damaging effect on the soul.

    ReplyDelete

Waddaya think?