Leeds is at present I believe, nearly waist deep in stinking rubbish as the bin men strike enters it's third month - yes you heard correctly... MONTH!
Now it's our turn; Brighton bin men are striking due to many issues, not least having the number of their vehicles cut, being told they'd have to work an extra day to cover the shortfall, and temp-staff being axed. The straw that broke the camel coat back apparently was then being told that some of them were fat and lazy. Nice.
I fully support the bin men strike; it's not a nice job, they don't get paid a lot and they need the proper equipment to get the job done. What's worrying however, is that they only started striking yesterday and this is what half the city already looks like. These dumpsters are outside people's homes and shops - The picture above is actually a few doors down from our house - I won't even begin to describe the smell.
They'll need to do something soon though; as it looks like the workers have got the Council over a barrel (as it were) and the seagulls are the only ones benefiting.
we were in Brighton Yesterday and noticed how bad it was already on Waterloo Street, my mate said it looked like half the residents had been evicted and just dumped everything in the street. Mind you - I can remember the 1970's bin strikes when Leicester Square was a giant mountain of rubbish - I tell people about that now and they think I'm making it up.
ReplyDeleteIt would be good if you could find the addresses of the garbage men and put the stuff outside their doorsteps
ReplyDeleteDepesando - It's like when I tell people I remember when we had power cuts, my Mum filling the bath with water for when we had none & that I remember standing up for the national anthem before a film started at the cinema! It's getting pretty stinky around here but nobody can just sit there whilst their pay is cut from £24k to £16k - especially if they're the breadwinner.
ReplyDeleteLiam - I do a similar thing with junk mail; I collect it all up then post it back to a random company in one of their free envelopes!
Ha aha aha aha ha ha....
ReplyDeleteHey I'm on my seventh episode of season four of Dexter it's great. Wait till you see it.
during the 'winter of discontent' - my dad was so frightened of the imminent collapse of society he sent my mum to Spain for 3 months with my baby sister for safekeeping, I was already at school so I stayed behind, eating cold food and reading by candlelight - nobody believes a word I tell them about it.
ReplyDeleteLooks like New York City on a normal day.
ReplyDeleteHey you sound like me. That's something I would do.
ReplyDeleteMy nephew is a bin man and they really do a really hard job, you wouldn't believe the stuff they have to shift.Paul is an expert in badgers, he goes out in his little van and scrapes up all the badgers. No one notices until he doesn't do it.From what I have heard other counties may not be far behind, strike wise. There may well be a build up of badgers in the midlands very soon.
ReplyDelete