So as you know, I also moved house 2 days ago. I arrived back in Brighton around 5pm and decided to go straight to the hairdressers - I was not looking my best and knew I wouldn't have the chance to go for a while... I then went to the pub!
The next morning I packed up my 2 rooms and moved to Hove (or Hove actually as it's called round here) The house I'm in is lovely, my new flatmate is also very nice (to me but never has a nice word to say about anyone else - including her clients), I'm now right by the sea and I also have a garden; there's no dogs running around all over the house and no poo in the yard - yet I can't quite say that I'm altogether happy.
Because there are other people living here (long story but there's 4 and then soon to be just 3) I feel a bit cramped; I know I'll have to move again as I would like to live on my own at some point. I'm really really tired of moving and know that the only chance I'll ever get to stay in one place for any length of time will be by living on my own. There's nothing wrong with it here, but I know I'll have to move on again at some point.
I also have hardly any phone reception (no change there then) I can't get the Internet in the living room and I also live a bit of a way from town so need to get my bike fixed or spend £50 per month on a bus pass. I'm already watching every penny so I can't really afford this. It's hardly the end of the World but I'm tired of everything being a hassle all the time; everywhere now is a bit of a trek.
Also, I have very little money; I've moved in here without a deposit so I know that I don't have a leg to stand on if it doesn't work out and I'm feeling quite vulnerable about it. I know things usually work out and things turn out ok in the end, but I feel pretty insecure about my future. I know it's probably unfounded but I don't feel I have any grounding - I don't feel in a safe position.
Dexter isn't really settling in very well either; it's only been 2 days so to be expected I guess - it's his first move and he's a bit freaked out by the strange noises going on. I have to go away to the last festival in 10 days and leave him with a stranger so I'm a bit worried. There's also loads of cats round here and I'm scared he'll get beaten up or run over. He's been spending a lot of time hiding under my duvet, so now I have a double-sided furry bedspread!
I guess I just want the quiet life; I long for a nice little 1-bed flat with some outside space for Dexter, a place that is safe and away from the bustle where we can just get on with it and settle down. People say that money doesn't buy you happiness, but I can tell you that money would solve pretty much every problem I've ever had.
I feel a bit lost.

Oh I am so sad that you feel a bit lost. Moving is very unsettling. I am sure Dexter will be fine, it will just take him a couple of weeks to feel like he is at home.
ReplyDeleteI too have no phone signal in my house. Someone told me the closer you are to the sea, the worse your phone signal is, which would seem to be true with our locations. I have to do a strange acrobatic move by the back door, in order to hold a conversation.
Moving is a pain in the ass. Can't you find some nice room mates that you can stay with for a while? My friend in New York has a large flat and one room mate has been there for 15 years.
ReplyDelete