I was reading the Guardian online today as I thought I'd update myself on the G20 Summit and the weeks news round-up of political events. The Guardian had decided however that the most important information to impart to us was what the first ladies were wearing and which one trumped the other in the fashion stakes.
So I turned on the morning news and that fine media channel called the BBC were broadcasting Sarah Brown and Michelle Obamas visit to a local school. They hadn't even got a minute into the clip before they were breathlessly telling us what designer Michelle was wearing - because clearly we all must be dying to know.
Sod the fact that Michelle Obama is a Princeton graduate, has a law degree from Harvard and is a successful woman in her own right; I must want to know what she's wearing right? Carla Bruni - a successful model and singer-songwriter she may be, but what has she got on dammit?!
It still never ceases to amaze me that successful women who have reached the pinnacle of their chosen fields - actresses, musicians, sportswomen and even chefs; are still shown on the cover of magazines (men's and womens alike) with half their clothes off, as if their achievements alone are not good enough. The message is they must look fabulous as well to be taken seriously and held up as truly successful... and it bloody stinks.
I hear you - hopefully these women have learned not to care too much of the public's opinion. It's enough to make one commit suicide!
ReplyDelete