_05.jpg)
I intended to have a really long lie-in this morning but Dexter put a stop to that with his tail-chasing, nose-licking, so I decided to get up. After an alternative breakfast of cold rhubarb crumble I settled myself on the sofa to get on with some 'business' work; which obviously turned into some time-wasting Internet browsing!
However I have now become completely engrossed with watching Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart's incredible chemistry in 'To Have and Have Not' and am totally mesmerised. Along with a young Elizabeth Taylor I think she is one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. She was only 19 when she filmed it yet she has such a natural, confident sexiness that she seems much older. I once read she got her distinctive husky voice by screaming into the wind!
I also love her outfits too: fitted jackets and pencil skirts, set-wavy hair and the highest heels imaginable - it's like that toned-down Dita Von Teese look which I also think looks stunning. How is it that women in earlier eras always managed to take more care of their appearance? If tracksuits were around would they have worn them? I can not imagine Joan Crawford or Elizabeth Taylor lounging around in Juicy Couture!
Ms Bacall you're amazing; Bogie.. you can just go whistle!
I read Lauren Bacall's autobiography years ago; she really is a very strong, remarkable woman!
ReplyDelete