7 July 2013

Blogging Challenge Day 29: 5 Songs or Pieces of Music That Speak to You or Bring Back Memories


1) House of the Rising Sun - The Animals

This song is #1 on the list because I'm pretty sure it was the first time that I really listened to the words of a song and visualised what was happening - and what was happening in this song sounded great. My parents used to listen to a radio station that played old songs on a Sunday afternoon and while my Mum was making a roast dinner and Dad was doing something uninteresting outside, I used to lie on the carpet in front of the gas fire (whether it was on or not) and listen to all these old songs.

"My father was a gamblin' man, down in New Orleans"

House of the Rising Sun just blew me away. Not only is it a great song despite people thinking it's a cliche (listen to it again; it's ace) it was more that I really wanted to be the man in the song. Even though they were saying you didn't want to be him, the story of a whoring, gambling, cowboy-type living such an exciting (as I saw it) life in New Orleans was not only a world apart from my own life, it was also a life I knew I could never have because I was a girl. Maybe it appealed to the freedom-loving part of me, but I so wanted to have an exciting life like this. 

I still listen to this tune and I still love it. When you watch the video you're amazed at how such a big voice can come out of such a young little fella though!



Originally a poem by diplomat Cecil Spring-Rice, this song speaks to me because I think it should be our National Anthem instead of God Save The Queen. Most of the UK isn't religious and this song, although still godly, is more patriotic I think. We used to sing it in assembly at school and I always liked it - probably because it sounds very sad and talks about the war. Whenever I hear this on Classic FM it makes me well up and even reading the lyrics makes me emotional. It's not a song I listen to on my MP3 player, but I think it should certainly be our National Anthem. 


"I heard my country calling away across the sea, across the waste of waters she calls and calls to me."

I challenge you to watch the remembrance video, listen to this song and not cry.


3) Tougher Than The Rest - Bruce Springsteen

I must say that I absolutely adore Springsteen. If I could only listen to one artist for the rest of my life then it would be him. What an amazing storyteller. Although this song is written from a male perspective I feel the lyrics both reflect who I am as well as what I've always been looking for.

"The road is dark and it’s a thin thin line but I want you to know I’ll walk it for you any time. Maybe your other boyfriends couldn't pass the test, well if you’re rough and ready for love, honey I'm tougher than the rest."


4) Racing in the Street - Bruce Springsteen

This is my latest obsession. I just love this song and have been playing it a lot lately. It really is very beautiful and, like most of his songs, tells a story of people who's lives didn't turn out the way they hoped.

"For all the shut-down strangers and hot rod angels rumbling through this promised land. Tonight my baby and me we're gonna ride to the sea, and wash these sins off our hands."

All his songs are so incredibly well written. They're about regular stuff - dreams, and lives, and stories, and stuff - but written like poetry. I just love Bruce Springsteen.


5) Wanted Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi

The reason this song is included is because it reminds me of a really great time in my life. I was 15 when the album Slippery When Wet came out and my best friend and I were having a blast. We listened to this album until we knew every word off by heart (we used to call this song pa cha waw waw waw waw - the sound of one of the opening chords), the summer was hot and long as I recall, and I had my first experience of 'being in love' and having my heart broken. In fact I don't think a break up has ever hurt so much as that one.

But it was a brilliant summer and this song reminds me of some really happy times with my best friend, becoming a proper teenager, and experiencing some real grown up emotions for the first time.


* There were loads of pieces of music that nearly made it on the list but didn't. I've mentioned that I love opera before so I nearly put in a few arias, the opening of Mozart's Requiem Aeternam is simply jaw-dropping and you can't believe that such music is possible (hearing it live in a big church is something you'll never ever forget), Going Down by Springsteen is the song that never fails to cheer me up, and American Trilogy by Elvis is awesome and one of my favourite Elvis songs of all time - and I have a million of them cos the dude was such a fucking legend!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Rising Sun" is one of my favorite singles ever. Just to nitpick, it should really be sung by a woman - it's about being a prostitute. Joan Baez sung it, but it's not the same without the raw vocals and Alan Price's organ.

    Five songs only?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, just removed your comment as it was a duplicate!
    Yeah I could only think of 5 MAIN songs at the time. I found it really hard to fit the time in to write the 'blog every day challenge' posts so I decided to write the ones that came into my head first.

    Rising Sun is just brilliant and the raw version is just a belter!

    ReplyDelete

Waddaya think?