17 February 2013

Fancy A Tour Around My Flat?

After 19 house moves, yesterday I realised I'd been living in my new flat for 3 months already. I really love it this flat so thought I'd show you why. Let's start with the kitchen - it's my favourite room even though it looks out on to a business centre so there's no view to speak of. It's south-facing and I've got a little glitter ball hanging in the window and the spangles floating around the room make me feel happy every minute I spend in it.
I only got the (really, really) yellow table a few weeks ago and I love working in here. Before that I had to work at the dining table in the living room but it's a north-facing room and quite cold. Plus I watch TV in there in the evening and didn't want to spend all day and all evening in one room. I'm sitting in the kitchen now actually. I sometimes move the table round to face the window so I can watch the rain or snow, but the sun get's in my eyes otherwise and I can't be bothered to keep moving the blind up and down! I listen to the little radio up on the shelf on the right. It doesn't look much in the photos but it's a lovely room to hang out in.
My meagre amount of cookery books. Note the word 'Greedy' in 2 of the titles. I don't believe I have made one recipe from any of these books although the most likeliest contender would be the meringue one. I can report that the photos in that book are incredible.
This is my beloved printers tray. I've had this for years and is the one and only cluttered place in my entire flat. Well, ordered clutter anyway! I don't like things lying around the place but everything up here means something to me in one way or another. Shells from my friend when she lived in Bali, the name tag of my darling cat Fraidy, things given to me by other friends, rings from my past. All sorts of stuff. This is one of my most treasured possessions.
Still in the kitchen. One has to have a declaration of one's geekness otherwise one would not be a responsible Trekker.
Out on the landing this is where I hang my hat as it were. I bought the box unit for about a fiver and just screwed some hooks in to the side and underneath. Perfect for hats, gloves, and scarves don't you think? People comment on it a lot yet it was cheap as chips.
There's not much going on in the bathroom cos it's diddy. I did buy this fantastic striped shower curtains to cheer up cold winter mornings though. I'm not usually into much colour but something was needed in here. The pink thing is a cupcake shower cap (obviously!) that's hanging on some little stick-on hooks that I put on the side of the cabinet. I do like a bit of extra storage. 
These are the shelves in my bedroom. There needs to be more going on in this room and I'm looking out for a writing desk so I can work in here sometimes. It's also south-facing and now has a glitter ball hanging in the window too. It's lovely and warm and the spangles look brilliant. The picture on the top is the one I mentioned before of (who I think) is a famous female serial killer. Nice.
My bedside table. The crochet flowers I made are a little faded now so I'm going to make some more, and the photo is me with my Mum when I was about 4 and she was 20.
This is a print in my bedroom. It's a photo of a snowy Brighton Seafront that I took with my camera phone a few years ago. Brighton is very photogenic but when I lived with my boyfriend he wasn't keen on having pictures of where we lived. But I can do what I want now.
This is a frame filled with empty sugar sachets from around the World. People have been giving them to me for about 18 years (like you do) so I recently decided to put the most colourful or meaningful or interesting in a frame rather than keep them in a box where nobody could see them. The picture needs hanging and I'm now done collecting sugar! Making this was brilliant fun and people stare at it for ages.


I don't really have any decent photos of the living room. The carpet and suite are both orange and the room can be a little dark so not really conducive to taking a nice photo! It's pretty big, needs some pictures, and has a massive TV which is the best thing. The photo above was taken on New Years Day hence the Christmas cards on the window and the one below is the snowy view of the tree outside taken last month.  
It's great being in this flat, and I adore living here. The neighbourhood is lovely, it's right by the train station and it's nice and quiet. The living room and bedroom still need some more furniture and pictures up but it's a work in progress I guess. I like living here a little more each day and I really hope my client renews the lease and lets me live here another year after this lease is up. For now I'm just going to enjoy it though.

3 comments:

  1. I love seeing peoples' homes! I have a printers drawer too! yours is so much better filled out than mine though, I love it!! and now I want a sparkly ball in my window!

    I always think it "funny" how "over there" your washers are in the kitchen! we have a whole room or a basement, or a closet depending on where you live.

    i also like the use of the windows as little shelves for trinkets!

    great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glitter balls are definitely the way forward; you should have one in every sunny room! Britain has the smallest living spaces in Europe; out homes are tiny, we live on top of each other and people convert houses into flats without giving any consideration for sound-proofing. It's hideous.

    We dream of having a separate room for doing laundry. The idea of a basement or crawl space or a walk in wardrobe is completely alien to us. It's a bit of a First World problem but our houses are shit holes compared to most US ones. When I watch US documentaries I notice that my entire flat would fit in to most Americans kitchens!

    Glad you like my pad though. I love living here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving seeing your new flat! It looks like a good place to live and I adore your snowy beach photo. x

    ReplyDelete

Waddaya think?