Just to say that I'm not poorly any more. I haven't written for a bit so I thought I should reassure you that I'm not lying groaning with my tongue sticking out the side of my mouth slowly contracting MRSA in A&E!
Of course I've heard nothing from the potential client about my monthly retainer suggestion. But then I wasn't expecting to. What a weird situation that is. I really want him to go for it though and then I don't have to worry so much about keeping the money coming in which is always a constant thing for freelancers. I can also carry on doing all the other things I love doing.
In fact I've been having some revelations about my work since recently discovering that I had a Portfolio Career which, instead of being a bad thing is actually something people aspire to! Oh yes, I'm an inspiration me.
So where I was worried that my career was somewhat 'bitty' and it turns out that I am a 'Cyclical 'Scanner' personality type with a Portfolio Career and there are millions of people just like me and more who want to be just like me! My personality type has many interests and feels hemmed in and stifled with just one line of work. It was a revelation to discover this was a good thing and there was a whole world of us.
I had a chat with a friend who is a career advisor and he asked me to score how happy I was with my work out of 10. I replied around an 8 and he said that was actually very high. I'd like more money coming in, but overall I know that I'm very happy with my lifestyle as a freelancer. I went in to work at an office in town yesterday and working straight all day focused on one thing was a killer - I can't believe I used to work like this and that people have to do this all day. It made me so grateful for what I have.
I've always thought that life was too short to have a job you hate doing, but people somehow believe they can't actually do what they want that they never try so stay safe all their lives. Other people tell them they can't do anything different because they're jealous and worry that if the other person breaks out of the mould then it will highlight their failure to have done something with their own life. Parents say you need to have a stable income and job, but modern living says this is an outdated view of work.
Of course you have money and the mortgage to worry about, but it turns out you can survive on a lot less that you realised, and the freedom and happiness that comes with doing what you love, really makes up for it. I'm not saying going freelance is for everyone, but it's a shame that a lot of people would and could be brilliant at it but are too scared to make the jump. I'd like to help them do that.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Waddaya think?