1 January 2012

New Year = Changes?

Isn't it strange how Christmas almost looks a bit grubby as soon as it's over? It's all sparkles and a warm glow in the run up and on the day itself, but as soon as we're done with it, it all seems a bit tired and old. 

New Year elbows it aside and dreamy nostalgic Christmas has to move over for new shiny resolutions and sweeping plans for the coming year. New Year's Eve was brilliant for me - BBF went out with his mate to get drunk whilst I stayed in my new fantastic black spotted ladybird pajama bottoms on the sofa, watching crap TV, drinking snowballs and crocheting squares for a friends new baby blanket. Dull I  know, but I was as happy as a sandboy. 

The other 2 came rolling in about 1am and both promptly fell asleep. I however, stayed up doing a massive killer Sudoku until half 3. I sure know how to live it up! What a pair of lightweights though; they spent loads of money I'm sure and the night was not much different than any other Saturday. 

Drinking doesn't suit either of them either. BBF's friend wants to give up drinking and smoking as much next year because he wants to progress and get on with things. This is a good step for him as he's almost defined by being a drinker, but bad for BBF who loves nothing more than drinking and talking nonsense all night! His poor mate doesn't have a chance with BBF as his friend...

I'm not a huge resolutions person but just before I went to bed I spontaneously wrote in my little "the best 3 things that happened today were:" book five things that I wanted to do next year:
  • To earn more than I have ever earned
  • To visit my friend in Cornwall 
  • To lose a stone or more
  • To not compromise or doubt myself when my thoughts and beliefs are questioned 
  • To simplify work and have time for the other fun things I like to do
The last one is the key I think. I'm so busy with my business and setting up a new one, I wish I had a more simple line of work and could focus on one thing to bring in the money and have my spare time just for fun. Although a contradiction, I think I can still be successful and have more time for hobbies and things. 

When I was at my last place of work, before I set up my business,  I used to write in this blog a lot more; I had the time to sometimes help out with Galaxy Zoo, I had free time to crochet, and I could spend whole evenings just sorting out my photos if I wanted to. I recently turned down being in a book group because I knew I couldn't fit the reading in and I thought that was a shame.

With my freelance business, I'm constantly marketing, writing business blog posts, researching and reading up on new things, and networking as well as actually doing the work. I know I'll still have to do these things, but I'm hoping to simplify the whole thing. Whether that's just by managing my time better or by shifting my focus I don't know yet. I like doing all of those things but I need a better balance. 

So what did you guys do on New Years Eve and do you have any resolutions or new plans for next year?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Urb! Your new years sounds fantastic to me...I used to get into the whole partying/drinking thing, but not anymore...I'm going to steal your idea of writing down the three best things that happened in the day, that's a great idea! I've just decided that I'm going to do that every night, thanks! If I was smart I would have thought of that before! lol!
    I love your resolution to not doubt yourself when your beliefs and thoughts are questioned. That is a big one. So many of us are wrapped up in self-doubt about a lot of things.
    I have not doubted my self for some time now, as far as my religious beliefs go, but sometimes I just don't say anything when the subject comes up because I usually feel out numbered. It is the politically correct thing to be religious these days and normally people look at me like I've got nine heads when I say I don't believe in god. Thankfully Canada is not as religious a country as America!
    Good luck to you in all your endevours in the new year Urb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what Wolynski, that is a great idea. Fuck resolutions, I'm going to bask in my fortune!

    ReplyDelete

Waddaya think?