7 December 2010

Work in Progress

This evening I attended my first Stitch 'n Bitch evening in the local pub; I took myself and sat around with 7 strangers, drinking mulled beverages and talking crafts - it was brilliant. 
I'm still loving to crochet  (although the quilt I so desperately wanted to make has yet to get off the ground - well I've got some fabric and how-to books and that's it) and when I saw this group had been going a while and meet near where I've just moved to, I thought it might be worth a look.  

It crossed my mind that I could find a group of either 20 year old bints, or 80 year old biddies but they were a mixture of ages, all making different things; some were new to it and others could knit without even looking! One other woman had never been before so I didn't feel too awkward, and I even helped out 2 people who got a bit stuck. 
Crocheting in the pub was a bit weird at first, although it combined crafts and mulled wine which worked quite well in actual fact! It was nice and toasty and wintry and I'll definitely be going again next week.

For months now I've been making a blanket; it involves loads of little squares and each one takes about half an hour to finish. The other day I set them all out on the bed so I could see how it was looking, and I discovered that, even though I have over 80 squares, the bloody thing is still tiny.  I think I'm going to need around 200 altogether, which means I'll probably have this blanket ready for when I move into Sunnyvale Retirement Home. 
Here is what it looks like in its different stages anyway - I've hidden the edges and left out any perspective to pretend it's massive.  It's a bit colourful, but If you you're not keen on it then you can just pretend you like it and I'll not make a fuss. 

4 comments:

  1. I used to do a lot of crafts. One was knitting and I've made several sweaters for Lenny, who has lost them over the years!

    I started that again today. I did remember how to cast on stitches, but I don't care for the new plastic knitting needles. I like the old metal ones but I lot them in a move. Sigh.

    That project you're working on is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's one way of getting a blanket - very pretty, if time consuming.

    Can't wait for your Facebook post - never been on it, but it sounds like millions of desperate people with nothing better to do. The very idea appalls me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlene - thank you and metal needles are indeed the best ones.

    Wolynski - I'm saving up the FB post for when I'm reeeeeally angry!

    Sarah - it's crochet dahling! Keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the concept of stitch and bitch! and the crochet looks amazing. I can't do anything like this. I feel so jealous when other ladies have all their home made crafts and I turn up with something bought in Poundland.
    I have been awol again so just catching up. I missed you x

    ReplyDelete

Waddaya think?