3 December 2010

Stop The Country - It's Snowing!

My overseas readers may be aware that the UK has had a bit of snow recently; we get lots of types of weather over here  - discussing it is a National pastime - but it's not often that any of our weather is particularly extreme. So when we do get anything above the norm, our entire country falls apart.
A couple of places have reached -20 degrees but mostly it's just snowed a bit. Nonetheless, many airports have closed, as well as nearly all the schools (because they're built out of cardboard and marshmallow) trains have stopped running, lorries have been abandoned on the motorway, shops are running out of food, and none of us have the correct footwear. It's a shambles.
I personally love snow; they kept talking about 'Freezing Britain' on the TV (for it is rolling news) and were overusing the word treacherous; but I looked on enviously as we hadn't had any in Brighton... until yesterday. I woke up in the morning and there was over half a foot of snow outside our house - which was VERY exciting for what turned out to be a surprisingly short amount of time.
Snow always looks better on the eye than the actual experience of interacting with it; by lunchtime it's either grey and slushy, or compacted so hard that you're lucky if you don't go for a Burton and end up in casualty. I did manage to get some good photos however, and now shall mostly look at it from the window. It's a bit yesterday now.

4 comments:

  1. We've had nothing but a few flurries so far in Kentucky US. There are times when we have gotten two feet over night and that pretty much puts the whole area in lock down. Heck, if the weather heads predict an inch of snow you can bet your last dollar 90% of the residents will be at the local grocery grabbing all the milk and bread.

    I don't like snow. I can see pictures of snow covered landscape by turning on the computer, so anyone who loves it can have it! SMILE

    Hope your area returns to the usual soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks fabulous ... but nice to see it from a distance this time! I'm sure I'll get my dose when back in the UK, but the thrill of just coming home from a weekend's snorkelling and sunning by the pool ... sorry, but I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still feel quite let down. The snow here has been exceedingly miserly.

    I got quite excited a couple of Saturdays ago - I arrived at work just as the snow was beginning to fall, hard, and the heavy, white, windless sky suggested it was settling in for the long haul. I emerged blinking into the light a couple of hours later to find blue skies and sunshine. What a swiz.

    And I do have suitable shoes. And gloves and scarves. I'll even wear a hat if absolutely necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's nothing - Vegas comes to a standstill when it drizzles. When it rained properly, a man drowned in the Imperial Palace parking lot.

    Doc Martens are great for snow - good grip and the air soles keep you warm.

    ReplyDelete

Waddaya think?