So with 'Breaking News' yesterday we find out that Prince William is to marry his girlfriend Kate Middleton. Although basically I couldn't care less, I'm very happy for them - they've been going out for 8 years already and they both seem like sensible, decent people. Good for them.
What gives me a heavy heart however is that I know it will now dominate the National news for quite some time to come - possibly forever. I am going to have to hear about her whole wardrobe and sense of style, the analysis of every look and glance, every minute detail and supposition of the wedding, as well as the *sigh* inevitable comparisons with his parents marriage - which is surely distasteful in itself.
If your parents had a miserable marriage, got divorced then your Mum was killed in a horrible accident whilst being chased down by photographers and years later your Dad married the woman he always should have - and you were very happy for them. Would you welcome it all being raked back up again whilst photographers continually chased down your fiancée? I'm imagining not; but we all know it is inevitable because the British media is both unimaginative and cruel.
When I was younger I used to be a Republican, but after reading numerous books on the monarchy I came to realise that having one was pretty much essential to the International standing of our country. It's our USP if you like and the Queen brings in a lot of money for us. Even if we did decide to scrap the Monarchy, what would we do with them? Would Buckingham Palace be turned into offices or flats? No, we need at least the Queen otherwise we'd be recognised as the 2nd rate (if that) player we actually are.
I personally thought Princess Diana a tedious, attention-seeking passive-aggressive bore and was glad when she finally stopped being on every news story, every day. Now the press have another target to pull apart and force down our throats and we shall never be free - I don't mind us having a monarchy but I also don't want every detail as the press rummage through Kate's knicker drawer.

It's like you read my mind! I was unfortunate to have seen the Lorraine Kelly show this morning and they had dragged out various 'experts' to talk about it. I am bored of all the speculation already. Having said that it's nice to have some good news. I am looking forward to the wedding tho-nobody does pomp (great word) and ceremony like us Brits. Hurrah!
ReplyDeleteI do agree with you in part, but there is another part of me that is looking forward to the pomp and ceremony and of course the frock.I bet Kate's got some great undies in that drawer.
ReplyDelete