
Well, my 3 month internet dating extravaganza has now reached it's conclusion and the final scores on the doors are: 8 x first dates, 7 x second dates, 1 x third date and 0 x snogs. Numerically speaking, something is surely wrong with this picture?
Breakdown:
Date 1 - Steve was aesthetically pleasing and sexy as fuck; I managed to choose a pub he takes all his dates to which must have been interesting for the bar staff. We proceeded to get rather drunk and he told me that his ex-girlfriend cheated on him because he was rubbish in bed and how he wants people to like him all the time. I was unfamiliar with both concepts.
At the end of the date we both said we should meet up again but neither of us called the other. Steve had been on 35 dates in 2 months and was clearly a Brighton serial dater.
Date 2 - Richard was a little portly but was wearing a really nice jacket. He did a bit of stand up but wasn't funny as far as I could tell. He had a kid from a previous relationship, but otherwise there wasn't particularly anything memorable about him to report. We went on a second date anyway - a friend saw me out with him and later mentioned that he thought I could do much better.
Date 3 - Matt looked a bit more haggard than his photo; we went for a walk along the pier and talked about nothing in particular. He worked in TV and was considering moving to Manchester with his work. We didn't make arrangements to meet up again and neither of us called the other - he was the only person I met who I didn't have a second date with. He was perfectly nice but a bit meh.
Date 4 - Martin was a vegan and somewhat of a Brighton DM-wearing crusty type. I don't think he was militant but he looked a bit weak through lack of protein and I imagine putting up my shelves would have exhausted him. He was very easy to talk to however and we had a laugh on both of our dates. He told me he was going to be spending a year in Mexico from August for his course so I saw no reason for him to be on a dating site - he agreed.
Date 5 - Paul was quite clever as he had actually worked out who I was through what I said I did for a living. I'd originally refused to meet him as he is only 5'8" and has 2 kids - although I do love to wear heels, the height is negotiable but the kids weren't. We met for a drink anyway; he was very easy on the eye and pretty sexy despite his height. I also bumped into him a few weeks later at a networking event where a modicum of flirting took place.
We then met again recently for a film as I thought he could be handy to know, plus I would run into him at businessy events. Turns out I was canny to do so, as he may need me to do a bit of work for him. (not a euphemism)
Date 6 - Neill worked for a National charity deciding how to spend a 3 million pound overseas aid budget. He was very interesting despite having feeble social skills. We went on a second date the evening before he left for Burma and got on well. Upon his return 2 weeks later, he decided he wasn't really that fussed. Neill doesn't own a TV and was the person that I'd initially dismissed as a grinning retard...
Date 7 - Colin was the wealthy Tory-voting older man from Eastbourne that I wrote about quite recently. I'd originally told him to cock off because of his abhorrent voting habits, his age, his location, his hair colour (I go for dark-haired men) his cheesy one-liners and the fact he had a dick of a first name (my brother has the same name so I know what I'm talking about) He eventually convinced me to meet him for coffee to insult him to his face, and to our astonishment we hit it off.
We went on a second date despite him owning a Land Rover ("oh no, this just gets worse and worse" was my reaction upon seeing his car) He took me to Jamie Oliver's restaurant and asked to see me again when I returned from my 4-day trip to Cornwall... by the time I got back he had met someone else, so he's clearly a man with no staying-power and I therefore had a lucky escape.
Date 8 - Adrian is the only person I've been on 3 dates with so far. He is 6'3" so I'm a happy heel-wearer, and he is also the ONLY man I met who wears trainers (I like a man in trainers and had mentioned it on my profile) He is away until Sunday on a camping stag-do thing but we're meeting up again Monday evening unless he meets someone in the meantime I suppose.
We had a chat about what happens after a third date and he said he wasn't looking for another female friend as he had enough already, but that he didn't think there was any need to rush things. So we'll see and I'll keep you informed!
So there you have it my friends; I had 16 dates in total and have yet to see if it was money well spent. This isn't the first time I've dabbled in internet dating (lazy you see) but I'll tell you another time about the date who was wearing Pampers in the pub.
EXCUSE ME...I was happily reading this until...Date 7: Colin who has a crap name. This shall be noted and when national day of The Colin comes around again, you will not be invited to the buffet..I shall invite Date 4: Martin to nibble on my Linda Mcartney sausage rolls instead.
ReplyDeleteP.S Love you really but you do realise that trainers make mens feet stink, you are much better off with a nice brogue.
And why didn't you stay with the grinning retard again?? This is both interesting ( because I am very nosy about this kind of stuff) and bloody funny!!! Good luck with Adrian - can't wait to find out what happens... S
ReplyDeleteHave you dated any Greens? Brighton must be full of them.
ReplyDeleteKerrie - as soon as I read your comment on my other blog I knew my error & froze in anticipation - you took it quite well I thought! You know what I mean though; it's not the manliest of names...
ReplyDeleteSarah - You're not paying attention, I didn't stay with the grinning retard as he came back from Burma & decided he wasn't interested any more. Surely a flake.
Adrian - well I haven't asked Adrian who he voted for yet; I had enough of shock when he opened his mouth & I could see he was a Northerner. One should mention such things I believe. Brighton must be full of Greens but I vote Lib Dem!
You dont need a partner that votes the same way, but I suppose it would reduce arguments. I think we are all looking for perfection in a partner, hence we never find it. So I would date a LD, even a Tory, if I got along with them otherwise.
ReplyDeleteYour most depressing post yet - as depressing as when I used to date. Gave it up - a bunch of bores looking to get laid. Either someone improves my life with their presence and/or makes me feel good about myself or they can bugger off.
ReplyDelete