Well although I got back from Cornwall on Sunday, 2 busy days later it feels like it was a week ago! The visit was perfect and it was great to see my friend again; we hardly ever see each other but she's very easy company and we get on very well. The 12 hour coach journeys also went much quicker than I thought, but I'm guessing the Valium helped!
Although I was only there for a total of 3 days and I checked my emails while I was away, I did feel like I got a proper break. We had breakfast on the Harbour front, drank wine every evening and spend all day on the beach (may I say now that I'm glad Brighton beach is stony cos that sand gets EVERYWHERE!) amazing how easy it is to spend 3 days doing sod-all in the sun.
Cornish Girl did keep muttering about OCD because I was obsessed about not getting sand stuck to myself; which is a futile task on a beach covered in it! It kept sticking to my suntan lotion and I was constantly trying to brush it off. I am now exfoliated within an inch of my life and have a pebble-dash tan. I also fell in love with their dog Buzz - when I left me and Buzzy Boy were LIKE THAT (crosses fingers)
The St Ives seagulls are totally psychotic though; Brighton gulls are noisier but those West Coast bad boys outviolenced our Sussex lads wings down. They literally dive-bomb your snack treats nearly taking your eye out; it was like being under siege in the Battle of Britain. One small boy was running after them on the beach waving his dirty grundies shouting "eat my pants! go on, eat my pants!" which was inventive...
Some Americans took over the beach near us and managed to quickly clear the area; they were about as welcome as an STD. They were drinking warm Fosters (a child's beer) had a radio playing cheesy music and they spread themselves over a large area to play a game of bat and ball. They marked out a court and loudly debated the rules and 'the zones'. I have never seen anyone take the fun out of a game so rapidly or at such volume. They were the only people on the beach engaging in competitive sporting activity and we left before they were Cornish pastied to death by the locals.
Typically, Tory man couldn't wait until I returned and got together with someone else - this was a bit of a shame as I would have liked the chance to have gotten to know him better then rejected him. I doubt it would've worked out as he had far more money than I do (I hate a huge imbalance, it makes you feel poor or indebted) lived outside of Brighton, was 11 years older than me... and he voted Conservative! He also would never have been allowed across the threshold of some of my friends homes which could've been inconvenient.
So my record of never getting past the 2nd date still stands - I wonder if I'm just unlikeable or unfanciable? Who can say; I read about (or know) some people who haven't had a boyfriend or sex for years and I can't imagine such a thing. I do sometimes think what I'm looking for is so rare that most people are lucky to ever find it. I have another 2 dates lined up for later this week though so no hanging around for me! One has to get ones money's worth I feel.
It was a great holiday and the weather was amazing, but it's also lovely to be back home as well. I picked up 2 new clients last week and another one today so I've got lots of work on. I also really miss Brighton when I go away - I actually think I love this town more than I've loved any man.
The second date thing; everyone has BS in their life and by the second date the fella finds out that you're not going to cave into the "bot" he wants. This is especially true of wealthy men.
ReplyDeleteI remember our trips to St Ives... the big lie that the weather forcasters told us (cold and cloudy)... when we got there hot and sunny. I recall you sweating in a thick blue jumper and having to get replacement clothes.
ReplyDeleteI span round on a hill in homage to Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music...
Walking for what seemed like miles but not getting very far at all...
The disappointment of the Tate being closed 1st time round and the disappointment when we saw the piss-poor 'art' when we went again...
And those thieving bastard seagulls stealing your sandwich, me laughing as they were not interested in my jacket spud.
Great memories, beautiful town, crystal blue sea. XX
Glad you had a good time. I can't imagine you ever making it with someone who votes conservative.
ReplyDeleteI am also glad to meet someone else who hates sand. I live about 500 yards from a beach and my friends laugh at me because I refuse to sit on the beach.God dam mankey yellow stuff.
I have never been to St Ives but your photos make it look really tempting.
P.S I want a Buzzy hug.