10 June 2010

Never a Truer Word Unspoken


I have been working like a bastard this week. Because I was doing ok, I took my foot off the marketing pedal for a while plus I kinda lost my enthusiasm for the whole thing to be honest. It wasn't like I hated freelancing, it was just that I got a bit lazy, procrastinated a whole lot, and perhaps just burned myself out a little bit.

This resulted in me being short of clients this month and poorer than a church mouse on benefits. I'm not going to beat myself up about it; I'm (just) in my first year of business and I'm going to learn from it and move on. Things are looking up but I've learned a valuable lesson - life never gets any easier and you will be flogging yourself to the bone until you're on your death bed with little or no reward.

I did hope that at 38 I would have furthered myself a bit more than this though - sometimes I think that if you'd have told me life would be this hard when I was a kid I wouldn't have bothered. "sweetie-pie, when you're nearly 40 you will never have had a proper home, you'll be single and ageing fast, you will have no money to do anything you like, and you'll be working like a sod but will have nothing to show for it except debt... now run along and play darling"

3 comments:

  1. You will get there. Starting a business is always hard to begin with and, as you say, you are learning on the job.Much better now though than having to put up with the people you used to have to work with/for.Chin up old girl! ( You are allowed to punch me virtually if you would like... ) S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me being me I like to look on the positive:

    You are:
    Loyal, Brave, Strong, Fantastic, Adventurous, A lover of stationery

    Also, being single is not a bad thing. At least you do not have to wash skiddy pants..

    Ageing: I happens to us all..You look lush.. Do you really want to look like Jocelyn Wildenstein? (google that monster)

    You answer to nobody at work and be grateful that unlike me, David Cameron is not your new boss!

    You are an amazing friend and don't ever forget it! XXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete

Waddaya think?