15 April 2010

Language Nazi Makes a Stand


Right. That's it. I can't bear it any more. I need to rant.

If one more grown adult sends me a text, email or tweet with a fucking emoticon, the words LMAO, PMSL, LOL or any of these wanky symbol faces :-0 ;-) I am going to punch their stupid faces in.

My skin crawls when I see these symbols and I start to think less of the person sending it. I know it's extreme but I can't help it. I also think that people who think they're 'down with the kids' and write in text speak are lazy, illiterate retards who can't be bothered to learn the English language - I see this kind of shit on Facebook all the time and I've had enough.

I absolutely despise Facebook; I joined it a few years ago out of interest when I had 10 days off work with a bad back, and I use it to keep in contact with people I know who live out of Brighton. But all I see are adults posting vapid, badly-spelt unpunctuated comments, tending pretend crops and sending pointless imaginary drinks. Yesterday, a relative of mine posted "Dinner on an it smells lush yumyum so hungry now x" and I just wanted to kick her face off. She had NINE comments! The banality of it both really angers and depresses me.

The dumbing-down of everything (thanks Simon Cowell you greedy, soul-sucking, parasitic twat) is making the World a poorer place in my opinion; I sometimes read a bit of celebrity gossip and have a shallow side like everyone, but you have to have limits Goddamit! I'll even use a waving emoticon sometimes on Skype when I'm going because they're relatively inoffensive and I use them sparingly; but when they're in every bloody text, my blood starts to boil and I'm clouded by hatred.

When I mention that I hate these faces and abbreviations, I always get a spate of them sent to me because it's clearly the funniest thing since organised religion. People seem to think that you can't tell how a message was meant if there isn't some stupid face in it - so just use an exclamation mark or the words 'haha' and hope that your friend is smart enough to work it out for themselves! It may be irrational to some, but I've reached breaking point and something has to be done before I actually smash someone's face in shouting "you're not LYFAO now are you, you knob!!!!"

Rant over.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, dear and I am so bad at spelling. I feel like hiding in the courner now, not laughing out loud.
    ( I don't use wanky faces, does that redeem me? )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're in the clear Kerrie - it's not so much the spelling; it's when people write: 'iz cuz i wuz l8 that u h8 me' or other such nonsense! When they don't even TRY to write properly. It's mainly the wanky faces & LOLs that I despise...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit to trying to get word use, spelling and typing incomplete expenses. I am fallible, and will never be perfect at this. I have decided to forgive myself.

    I do not enjoy corresponding with people who have their own incomprehensible vernacular. If you do not use correctly the spelling of to and no and your, try only to speak with me in person. TYVM

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not stupidity, it laziness and apathy.

    When teens text message, they use all that crap to annoy their parents. But I guess a new language for texting is to be expected.

    Never been on Facebook - unlike MySpace, you can't even access it without joining.

    I'm against "social networks" - why hand over power over the Internet to a few companies? If I want to find Urban Cynic, I can google it(thus handing the power to Google, I suppose).

    Only a few can create content, the rest read and comment. But Facebook wants everyone to create content, thus producing a diarrhea of useless information.

    I hope Facebook goes the way of MySpace - yesterday's trendy fad.

    ReplyDelete

Waddaya think?