25 April 2010

Internet Dating - Boring Already

Well the dating thing is becoming both interesting yet decidedly boring at the same time. I have now been on 3 dates and this is how they went:

Tuesday night (Steve) - We met, he was pretty sexy, we flirted a lot and got very drunk together. Whilst drunk he said I was 'fit and opinionated' which was actually intended as a compliment at the time. I suspect he is a common garden 'Brighton Serial Dater'.

Brighton is one of those places where you could just continually have very short-term relationships or 'scenes' with someone and never take it anywhere. Basically, if you're not sure if you have a boyfriend or are just 'seeing someone', then you don't and you are. I think he just likes meeting with people and flirting with them, whereas I'm just too old and tired of that shit now.

Interestingly, he said at one point "don't think about it; why are you still single?" and I replied that I'm not always tolerant to other peoples ways, I don't like compromising and I'm wary of someone else having a say in my happiness - so that was worth the price of the drinks alone!

Saturday afternoon (Richard) He was funny, he seemed genuine and he also liked Star Trek. Not sure if I could see myself with him, but would be happy to know him as he was interesting. He did prefer DS9 to Voyager though but this is always a matter of contention.

Saturday afternoon (Matt) because I'm a skilled multi-tasker and I want some time to myself this weekend, I scheduled 2 meetings in the same afternoon. Matt was very nice and we got on well - He also seemed very genuine and likeable. We met in the Pavilion Gardens and, after eavesdropping on some pensioners discussing the Lady Boys of Bangkok who are here for the festival (I've seen them; they're very good and not a bollock in sight) we went for a walk along the pier. Although he was very agreeable, there wasn't anything that made me want to spend more time with him though.

Others - I was emailing an architect but I think I caught him out when he mentioned a step-daughter; when I asked if this was the same daughter he'd previously mentioned, he never wrote back so I'm guessing he was just a lying twat. Plus he is only 5'7" and I like to wear heels - shallow yet true.

Another guy has also asked if I fancy a coffee - his message was very brief, his profile was fine, and his picture was OK - but after I replied, another picture became available and he wrote back with a longer message. I then became to suspect that he was a special needs person who had been hiding it well. The second picture looked like a grinning retard so I'm not going to be pursuing this one further.

I've signed up for 3 months so we'll see; however it's noon and I'm still lounging in bed eating some fizzy Haribo, and if I had a boyfriend I'd probably have to share them. I also suspect I'm happier than most people I know.

5 comments:

  1. One of the bright spots of being married is not having to date. I hated dating, actually. It all seemed so contrived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. U Cynic...I must agree with your assessment of living alone. I was driving in a strange town, strange in new to me, not strange as in Dr. Love, (i digress) and of course got lost. At night, in a questionable part of the town, I drove and turned and turned and returned and 'hey I recognize that store, and those guys and turn and the thought "if my soul-mate, love of my life, undying devotion, (she is gone now 10 years) had been in the car, we (We) would be in a huge argument about my driving and navigation skills. I was to glad to be alone in a strange town, just enjoying learning. 'Bout that time I stopped for a red light, looked around, and there was the on ramp to the Bridge over my troubled water.
    It would be fun to hang with a female someone on ocassion. There is an old rock song? that has a line something like 'I need a lover that won't drive me crazy, someone that knows the meaning of "Hey hit the highway". chuckle
    For now it looks like it will be me and the cat. With visits from and to, the daughter, the son and the grand babies.
    (they bring the joy these days)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ucynic...I forgot to mention that I was driving a rental car, with rental plates, that had less that 150 miles on it, and I declined the insurance on body damage.
    That is stress self applied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been single for going on 19 years [widowed] and have dated extensively. I've also had 3 major non-cohabitating relationships. The hardest part was getting used to being alone. When observing married people my age, I know I'm happier than 95% of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I think I'm coming to the conclusion that I kinda like the perks of being alone! I'm not very tolerant of other people's shit & I like being on my own (as in I never feel lonely) I'd like a dog but am suspecting that I'm not really a 'coupley person'!

    I like the dating part, but other people have the ability to make you really miserable don't they! It's always some compromise or another, & I'm not the kind of woman to run around after other people - I saw my Mum doing all the work & never aspired to be a housewife as a little kid - it doesn't look very fun!

    ReplyDelete

Waddaya think?