3 October 2009

Forever Autumn


I have to say that I absolutely love Autumn. It's by far my favourite time of year; I love it when the light starts to fade and you still have a bit of a tan and may get your scarf or a cardie out, but it's still not cold enough for a coat - Autumn really is over far too quickly.

Spring is ok, it's a bit of a stop/starter for me and I find it a bit flakey, it also brings with it daffodils which I absolutely loathe - overt, ugly, honking, tacky things; daffodils are nasty, slutty flowers. Summer is also nice, but again; you never really know what you're going to get - will it be hot or a washout?

The sun in England is also a bit harsh and public transport and shops are unpleasant to be in, plus I always feel that I should be outside so not to 'waste the day' when actually I want to go to the cinema! Winter, is fun until New Years day when you have no money and the greyness just stretches into what feels like forever.

No, Autumn is the best by far - the light starts to change, a mellow breeze picks up and the leaves start to turn the most breathtaking of colours before they fall to the ground desperate to be kicked about. Scarves come out and you begin to feel all cosy and snug - you can tell that change is afoot and that something is coming.

I also adore the food that accompanies Autumn; roast chestnuts, toffee apples, baked potatoes, crumbles, chutneys, berries, parsnips, squashes, and stews. The smell of wood smoke and bonfires is in the air, children are playing conkers, and you feel like you want to curl up on the sofa with a glass or red wine or port and do some writing or knitting!

My birthday is in the Autumn so perhaps that's why I love it so much; the week leading up to my birthday is simply the most magical week of the year (beating Christmas by a nose) There's Halloween, then Bonfire Night then my birthday; the sound of whizzes and bangs start to accompany the darker nights and people gather together to watch displays and celebrate 400 year-old traditions - we're the only country that celebrates Guy Fawkes night which I think is marvellous.

Halloween was the Pagan new year and maybe this is why I always feel like starting new habits in the Autumn. I actually make resolutions and plans on my birthday rather than January; a new year for me personally rather than for everyone else. Autumn is when we start to bed-in and reflect. I could live in Autumn forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Waddaya think?