
Like many people, I've had to tighten my belt a bit recently. Sadly the recession (for it is now officially so) seems to have put everyone in the same boat and now most people are now as skint as I am. Last year I went onto a voluntary debt management plan with the CCCS who are a charity that decide how much you can live on, contact your debts to have them frozen, then you pay them monthly and they allocate the payment out. This means I will be debt free in a couple of years which is more than a lot of my friends can say.
I wasn't in a lot of debt, and it wasn't that I owned all the latest gadgets, went on numerous holidays and soled my shoes with diamonds. It was simply an accumulation of being young, living in an expensive city and constantly changing my job and housing for various reasons. Anyway, they've set me a budget and I live on it and it was the most financially sound move I ever made. But, although it's helping me pay off my debts, I don't have much money for going out or buying things that make me happy (weaknesses being magazines, DVDs and shoes!)
I've found a couple of ways around the situation however; I asked for magazine subscriptions for Christmas and I just bought a Cineworld unlimited film pass so I can see as many films as I like each month. Shoes are a worry though - I may have to become a cobbler!
So now for £11.99 per month I can watch films to my hearts content. (I just love films) today I'm going to see 'Slumdog Millionaire' and I'm imagining I won't even get a hint of a tan this summer as I'll be in a darkened auditorium, sticking to the floor and ignoring the recession.
Good for you.I didn't know such schemes existed, but I think you are very wise to sign up.Money matters are hard work to me and its easy to get into debt even if you're not off buying diamonds!The cinema ticket is a brilliant idea.If I didn't have 2 pesky kids to find babysitters for I would be at the flicks m'self every night.S
ReplyDeleteWell done on grasping the nettle re: debt-management. I think you've made a good choice in terms of the cinema ticket too: a couple of films every month and you've made it worthwhile - and I know darn well I could find at least that many films to go and see every month, even without going to see the good ones a second time!
ReplyDeleteIn fact, I'm thinking of seeing whether my local cinema has a similar scheme!