27 January 2009

Colour Me Happy


I was reading one of my favourite blogs earlier - 'One Wild Oat' and she was displaying some paintings that she had recently discovered and that she loved. This got me thinking about what my favourite paintings were; I have a few but I think these 2 are the ones I would own if I could.

I know 'Flaming June' is a bit of a teenage cliche, but it's so beautiful that I just drift off into it and I also love it for personal reasons. I like that the paint finish is calm, smooth and delicate, which also reflects the essence of the Image.


'Starry Night' is another favourite painting; the sleeping villagers, unaware of the mad swirling Cosmos above them plus the energy and the way the sky rages. When you see it in the gallery, the paint is actually raised off the canvas - Van Gogh worked with such vigour and  passion that you can see the force of the brush in the thick paint.

What's truly amazing to me is that patterns of colour formed to create images, can create such overwhelming emotions - that it's almost like magic.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, and there is no substitute for seeing a painting right in front of you. It really does become a moving, breathing thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I adore the Van Gogh. He's one of my favourite artists but that is my favourite of all his work.

    ReplyDelete

Waddaya think?