Doesn't Christmas seem a long time ago now? I took my cards down this morning as they seem so old and tired already.
So just New Year’s Eve to go now; I’m not a massive fan as it goes – the streets are always full of drunken idiots and vomit, you have to buy a new outfit, pay a fortune to get in somewhere, queue for ever to get served at the bar, lose half the liquid on your way back to your table (if you were lucky enough to get a seat) worry about getting a kiss at the stroke of midnight, and risk hypothermia on the long walk home or pay half a month’s wages for a taxi back.
I prefer to avoid the whole thing altogether; I just see it as another year closer to my death and who wants to celebrate that? I prefer to just go round a friends house for a drink or two, then get to awaken daisy-fresh on New Year’s Day and go for a bracing stroll along the seafront and have a think about the coming year and what I would like to achieve – an emotional audit if you like. I think winter is a natural time to bed-in; to make things, snuggle up, take stock on the past year and prepare for the new one.
I think a lot of Brits are a bit worried about what the new year will bring; unemployment levels are set to rise to 3 million, homes are being repossessed, people are really tightening their belts and everyone is a bit anxious as to what 2009 will be like.
Me? I know that 2009 will be my best year ever – my new business will be extremely successful so I will become profitably self-employed by March, I will find true love and happiness, and I will continue to endeavour to be the best version of myself that I can be. And I can say these things because I know them to be true.
So just New Year’s Eve to go now; I’m not a massive fan as it goes – the streets are always full of drunken idiots and vomit, you have to buy a new outfit, pay a fortune to get in somewhere, queue for ever to get served at the bar, lose half the liquid on your way back to your table (if you were lucky enough to get a seat) worry about getting a kiss at the stroke of midnight, and risk hypothermia on the long walk home or pay half a month’s wages for a taxi back.
I prefer to avoid the whole thing altogether; I just see it as another year closer to my death and who wants to celebrate that? I prefer to just go round a friends house for a drink or two, then get to awaken daisy-fresh on New Year’s Day and go for a bracing stroll along the seafront and have a think about the coming year and what I would like to achieve – an emotional audit if you like. I think winter is a natural time to bed-in; to make things, snuggle up, take stock on the past year and prepare for the new one.
I think a lot of Brits are a bit worried about what the new year will bring; unemployment levels are set to rise to 3 million, homes are being repossessed, people are really tightening their belts and everyone is a bit anxious as to what 2009 will be like.
Me? I know that 2009 will be my best year ever – my new business will be extremely successful so I will become profitably self-employed by March, I will find true love and happiness, and I will continue to endeavour to be the best version of myself that I can be. And I can say these things because I know them to be true.

I think your idea of New Year sounds wonderful - especially the seafront walk.I wish you every success in your venture which I am sure will be a massive success !! Happy New Year !! S
ReplyDeletehurrah! good on you, my lovely. x x
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on the New Year hype. Besides, these days, alcohol only makes me go to sleep. :P
ReplyDeleteWishing you all the best in 2009!