![]() |
| I'm going to the 'UT and Hippies' bit |
Apart from not updating my blog much lately, I actually feel right as rain again. I definitely wasn't myself for a few weeks but, now I've made those changes and let the family news sink in, I feel completely back to my old self - which is a relief.
After blurting out all my fears in my secret personal blog (the one where I say things that I might tell my best friend but sometimes even not then - the one where I just let it all out) I found myself writing at the end of the post "have a little faith in yourself". I was surprised to find myself typing that actually as I hadn't realised it was what I needed. I decided to take my own advice (cos it's always so good) and I feel fine now.
I leave for Austin next Saturday (15th ) and have a packing list as long as my arm. Apparently the weather can change on a dime and go from 40 to 70 overnight - PLUS they're having snow right now so God only knows what weather to expect. I'm taking a load of layers but you can be sure that the one thing I fail to pack will be the one thing I need of course. Which is why I'm just taking everything.
I'm there for 18 days which is the longest I've ever been away from home on a trip - I've never even been on a 2-week holiday. Luckily I'm staying at a pretty swanky hotel which takes the edge off a bit but, if I'm honest, I love going away but I love coming home even more. I'm not one of those people who doesn't unpack for ages either - the dirty washing is in the machine, everything else is put away and my suitcase is stashed within half an hour of walking in the door. The thought of leaving my crap everywhere makes me shudder actually.
Although I know I'll be working like a sod, I'll be sure to take some photos of Austin so you can see what the place is like. I hear it's a little Democratic island in a Republican sea but I don't really know what to expect. I plan on having some barbecue ribs and possibly a steak or two but other than that I have no major expectations of my trip except to make sure that the event I'm working on runs to plan. I'm sightly wary of Texas as I've never seen a gun, am pro-abortion, don't believe in God and would laugh if anyone said the word Fanny - so hopefully I'll come home without any head wounds.
You never know though, maybe I'll meet a cowboy and end up lassoing steers on a cattle-herding ranch in chaps and a white Stetson whilst spending evenings line-dancing and entering spitting competitions... Stranger things have happened.
I leave for Austin next Saturday (15th ) and have a packing list as long as my arm. Apparently the weather can change on a dime and go from 40 to 70 overnight - PLUS they're having snow right now so God only knows what weather to expect. I'm taking a load of layers but you can be sure that the one thing I fail to pack will be the one thing I need of course. Which is why I'm just taking everything.
I'm there for 18 days which is the longest I've ever been away from home on a trip - I've never even been on a 2-week holiday. Luckily I'm staying at a pretty swanky hotel which takes the edge off a bit but, if I'm honest, I love going away but I love coming home even more. I'm not one of those people who doesn't unpack for ages either - the dirty washing is in the machine, everything else is put away and my suitcase is stashed within half an hour of walking in the door. The thought of leaving my crap everywhere makes me shudder actually.
Although I know I'll be working like a sod, I'll be sure to take some photos of Austin so you can see what the place is like. I hear it's a little Democratic island in a Republican sea but I don't really know what to expect. I plan on having some barbecue ribs and possibly a steak or two but other than that I have no major expectations of my trip except to make sure that the event I'm working on runs to plan. I'm sightly wary of Texas as I've never seen a gun, am pro-abortion, don't believe in God and would laugh if anyone said the word Fanny - so hopefully I'll come home without any head wounds.
You never know though, maybe I'll meet a cowboy and end up lassoing steers on a cattle-herding ranch in chaps and a white Stetson whilst spending evenings line-dancing and entering spitting competitions... Stranger things have happened.

Looking forward to photos of your spitting competitions especially ... Glad you are feeling better x
ReplyDeleteDefinitely take photos of Austin - I have a friend there who has sent me many postcards over the years - it looks just lovely. She work at one of the university libraries.
ReplyDeletehave an amazing trip!!!!
ReplyDelete