29 September 2013

(Sings) Hooray, Hooray, I've Booked My Holiholiday!


Every year in November I go away for a few days over my birthday and this year is no exception. In the past I've been to Jordan, Sorrento, and Rome and this year I'm going to continue my love affair with Italy by going to Verona for five days.

Verona is famous for being at the centre of two of Shakespeare's plays: Romeo and Juliet, and The Two Gentlemen of Verona. In fact you can visit 'Juliet's balcony' (obviously not real as it's a work of fiction but very cute) and there was even a film called 'Letters to Juliet' based around the habit of lovestruck women leaving notes for Juliet (or her secretaries) to answer - although quite an odd thing to do as Juliet didn't do too well out of her relationship if I recall. 


I was originally going with the guy I was seeing but because I dumped him for being irritating and boring, one of my friends said she'd like to go instead. I didn't actually mind going away on my own but it will be nice to take the trip with her. She does go on about food and diets a lot and I will be stuffing my face in Italy because I'll be on holiday and the food is better than any other country on the planet. I'm going to tell her that what I eat is not up for comment before I go though. She can eat salads if she likes but I want wine, pasta and cake!

We're staying in a little one-bed flat through Air BnB - the flat we've rented is really near to the centre and only costing £215 between us for four nights. It'll be great to have a private base to go back to rather than a hotel, and it even comes with an espresso machine apparently! 
The flat we've booked
Being part of Europe means that it's really quick and cheap to get from the UK to Italy. Flights to Rome are only around £40 return and the flights to Verona were £70 return which is still pretty good. Verona was founded in the first century BC and it even has an amphitheatre - I love historical places and am particularly partial to an amphitheatre. It's also a World Heritage Site which means they try to preserve it as much as they can.

I have to say that I'm pretty excited about going. I adore Italy and could go at least once a year - in fact I suppose I do! Both my friend and I run our own businesses so I'll be taking my tablet to reply to emails each day and I think she'll be doing the same. Although we're on holiday we do need to keep an eye on our businesses - plus I've taken on some work to help coordinate a big global event and I'll be spending two weeks at the event next year... in Austin, Texas no less!!

What a jet setter.

1 comment:

  1. jet setter, no joke!! this is awesome! you are going to have a blast!! Way more fun with a girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete

Waddaya think?