11 June 2013

Blogging Challenge Day 2: Educate us on Something You Know a Lot About or Are Good at

So I've failed already - failed by day bloody 2. Pathetic.

Yesterday was a bit mental and my plans went awry and I ended up going to see Behind the Candelabra (fabulous with great performances) and then the season 3 finale of Game of Thrones at my ex's house (epic!) which meant I didn't get home until 11pm and couldn't be bothered to write the post. I do apologise. You so deserve better.

Anyway, I'm willing to put the past behind me and move on if you are so let's get cracking on the next subject. Hmmmm - well I know shit loads about the Tudors, films, crocheting, and Social Media but a post about any of those things would take forever to write, I'm pretty good at loads of stuff really (I'm just naturally talented that way) but again, I'm not sure that any of those things would make for interesting reading. 

I tell you what I do know a lot about - I know a lot of things that people think are true but are in fact myths. Let's do that one instead:
  • White flecks on your nails are due to a calcium deficiency - it's actually just where you've knocked your nail against something.
  • You catch a cold by going out in the cold without a coat - you catch a cold by picking up bugs that are more prolific in the winter for lots of reasons. But not because you're physically colder.
  • You lose more heat from your head than anywhere else - you don't. It's just that everything else is covered up so your head feels colder.
  • Vitamin C helps defend against a cold - there has never been any evidence that shows vitamins C or D either prevent a cold or help with symptoms. There is scientific evidence that Zinc can help though.
  • You should drink 8 glasses of water a day - some bloke just pulled this figure out of his arse and you just need to drink when you're thirsty. Nearly everything we eat has water in it (a spud is 75% water) and too much water can make you unwell.
  • People accidentally eat spiders in their sleep - ironically this myth was created by a journalist who wanted to prove how easily people believe things they read on the Internet.
  • You'll get arthritis if you crack your knuckles - you might injure your ligaments but you won't get arthritis.
  • You can see the Great Wall of China from space - you can't and the story began even before people even went into space.
  • You should stretch before you exercise - you should definitely stretch after exercising but if you do it before then you'll hamper your performance and stretching cold muscles can lead to injury.
  • Marie Antoinette said "Let them eat cake" - she didn't.
  • Garbo wanted to be alone - she actually said she wanted to be Iet alone - and she said that in a film.
  • Marilyn Monroe was a size 16 - she was actually 5'5" and around 118lbs. When the dress she wore in the Seven Year Itch was auctioned, they put it on a US size 2 mannequin and couldn't even zip it up. 
  • You should wait to wrap up so you can 'feel the benefit' - I'm not sure if this one has been scientifically debunked but I've given it a great deal of thought since I was young and it's nonsense. Think about it - you're at room temperature, you're about to go out into the freezing cold, you put warm clothes on then immediately step out. You now have to try and warm up from being room temperature. But if you wrap up a bit before you go out, you'll have raised your body temperature and will already be very toasty before you go out in the cold. You'll then get even warmer by walking. This seems obvious to me - be hot before you go out and get hotter rather than leave cold and try to warm up to the temperature you could have been had you thought it through!

I'm sure I know loads more but this is all I can remember off the top of my head. What I know is that a lot of things people believe and state as fact on a regular basis are in fact bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Waddaya think?