The full title being - issue a public apology. This can be as funny, serious or as creative as you want it to be.
So far I've managed to traced my maternal line back to the late 18th Century to a woman called Joan. Joan was born in Devon around 1770 and she had a daughter, who had a daughter, who had a daughter, who had a daughter, who had a daughter, who had a daughter, who had a daughter ... who decided to leave it there.
So this is an open apology to all my female ancestors. I have a life that many of you might not have wanted for yourselves but I imagine some of you dreamt about once in a while. I didn't have to marry the first man I slept with and who went on to abuse at least 3 of you that I know of. I don't spend my day doing exhausting back-breaking work, and I'm not going to die of cholera or end up in a workhouse.
I have numerous gadgets that make my life easy and pleasant. A machine washes my clothes, I don't need a mangle to dry them and the job doesn't take a whole day. I sleep in the softest luxury and my house is warm. I don't have to get on my hands and knees to clean my floors, I have one gadget for curling my hair,another to straighten it then a different one to dry it. I can press my clothes in minutes.
I can curl and colour my eyelashes. I can sit comfortably unrestricted by corsets and skirts or I can wear both if I choose to. I don't have to swelter in Summer because of the clothes society says I should wear, I can travel the world by myself, and I am free to choose what work I do or I can spend a whole day reading if I want to. There is nobody making any demands on my time and my life is my own.
My wonderful lost family I wholeheartedly apologise for not carrying on your line. You might have been disappointed that I decided not to continue with the daughter (or indeed whole child) thing but I'm pretty sure you'd be proud of me anyway. It's just that I can choose to be whomever I want to be and I chose not to have any children. Sorry about that.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Waddaya think?