If you read this blog regularly you may recall that a couple of years ago I went off to Wales for this team-building weekend which is to bring together all the heads of departments to prepare for the upcoming Green Man festival that I work at each August. Last year was just in a pub in London (urban is good) but this year it's back in the Youth Hostel.
You may also know that I don't really play well with others and the idea of a Youth Hostel brings be out in a cold sweat - shared rooms *shudder* and outside shower blocks *shudders harder*. I would not generally be described as a 'team player' by anyone who has met me, so this should be fun.
Last year I got out of all the embarrassing make-a-twat-of-yourself stuff by pleading 'health reasons'. I do have a bit of a bad back, but mostly I feel that it is bad for my health to be made a fool of. I didn't mind the running around treasure hunt business, but point blank firmly but politely refused to take part in anything that involved me getting too close to another person.
Also last time I resembled a little black ninja (Wales is notoriously a bit cold and wet) only for it to be one of the hottest days of the year. I don't think this will happen again this time but I've prudently decided on layers rather than a black jumper! They said to bring waterproofs but the only thing I have is a cagoule and an umbrella so that will have to do.
Last time one of the girls in my room was so annoying that I wanted to kill her the next day. She came in late at night all drunk and loud and crashed around the room like a prick. This sort of negated the team part of the weekend for me as I never wanted to see her again. And indeed I don't think I ever did.
The place is absolutely beautiful though. It's in Brecon near the festival site and on Sunday we go to the actual site where Druids (see photo)) bless the area for good weather for the festival weekend. Arthur Pendragon himself arrives - on a motorbike no less - and they do a little Pagan ritual. They did nearly blow it last year though when his mobile went off in the middle of the ceremony. We all stand around and watch and repeat things after him - so like church without the hymns really.
Anyway, I'm off in a short while but I will be sure to report back. I'm also hoping there is no repeat of the embarrassing pants-on-the-bed incident either.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Waddaya think?