18 April 2012

What Happened With That Job





So just to give you an update on what happened with that potential travelling PA job - absolutely fuck all happened is what. 


What did happen is that he flew me out to Vegas and pretty much ignored me the whole time. He was a day late in arriving so I hung out with his friends and family; only one of whom knew I was even coming. I then tagged along with them like a bit of a lemon. When I didn't seek them out, nobody even contacted me to see if I was ok or to see what I was doing for dinner etc. It was awkward to say the least.

So I knocked around Vegas for 5 days waiting for him to speak to me about the job. He did not. I must have spent around 40 minutes in total talking to him one-to-one, the rest of the time I was just amongst the other 18 people (his friends and family) that he had invited along.

I could kick myself now that I wasted a great opportunity to hang out more with the Blogger Wolynski that I knew from reading her Vegas Images blog. She met me at The Mirage for a drink and kindly offered to show me around the 'regular' Vegas. But because it was the day before I left, I thought surely he will want to speak to me soon so I kept myself available. I wish now that I hadn't as I saw nobody the entire day and night.

The last morning I checked out of the hotel and called him to see what I should do with the phone he had given me for us to call each other on (the irony) he said they were going for breakfast and to join them. I then had a 10 minute chat with him where he said he didn't really know what was going on and maybe he would meet me again the next time he came to Europe. I said I didn't know why he had brought me there, he said he didn't know either but that he thought it 'might be fun' and so I could see how he lived. This would have been fine if I had actuallly seen more of how he lived!

I had borrowed £300 for spending money and my business had been neglected for 5 days, he asked me to bring my laptop but never asked me to do anything and the whole thing was just a bit odd. I then got on the plane home. Turns out Vegas is great if you're actually with some people you know, otherwise it's just you knocking around on your own for days skint and bewildered.

When I passed my driving test I texted him to let him know (he had paid for it after all!) he simply replied with "congratulations!". A week later I emailed him to say what a great time I had, to thank him for the trip and that, although learning to drive had been great, my business had suffered financially, that I wanted to move forward and make plans. I said I wanted to give him first opportunity to hire me as he had invested so much in me.

I stated that if it wasn't the right time, or I wasn't the right person then that would be fine (I wasn't even sure if I wanted to work for him or what that job might even be) but that his thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. That was a month ago and he has not replied. So basically, some bloke I had met twice paid 2 grand for me to get my driving licence, then paid over 3 grand to fly me out to Vegas where he ignored me and I have not heard from him since.


How often does that happen?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Waddaya think?