So obviously the big news over the last few days is that Colonel Gaddafi was killed. I don't have a problem per se that the man has gone, but I do have a massive problem with the way that we received the news.
I think it's only me though. I think I'm the only person who was shocked and appalled at turning on the TV and being confronted with a human being covered in blood, being kicked and dragged through the street, pleading for his life. I was sickened to my stomach.
From a young age, I've seen images of Gaddafi being welcomed with open arms by Prime Ministers and Presidents alike just like any other leader. The British government has approved £61.3 million pounds worth of arms exports to Libya since 2009 (and we weren't the only ones) and then condemned what he did with them. The UK Government are complete hypocrites.
Whatever he did, it's not humane to show graphic images of any man being treated like an animal on TV and on the front pages of newspapers where children can see them. I thought it was barbaric the way we gleefully watched the last few minutes of his life in gory technicolour detail. We didn't have to show those images, the press decided it was appropriate and I think it makes them as immoral as him.
Am I the only person who was disgusted and ashamed by what we saw?


I think you are right and I would like to say that I was appalled at the sight of Gaddafi being hauled through the street covered in blood ... but I can't in all honesty say that I was.I didn't care that they did that to him and I didn't care that he suffered.I think he deserved to die after the brutality he inflicted on the Libyan people over the last 40 odd years.I am glad that no money was wasted on a show trial and I hope he suffered a tiny bit as much as some of the people he tortured and killed.I am a little shocked that I am writing these words as I have always considered myself a moderate/liberal, but they are the truth as I feel it. Perhaps by saying them I have lowered myself to his level, but I don't think so.
ReplyDeleteI should clarify that I did't feel appalled because I approve of his actions; I felt appalled because seeing any human being treated like that on public television was shocking and (I felt)uncalled for. I don't disapprove of what they did to him but I didn't think we should have rejoiced in watching it.
ReplyDeleteI'm also not condemning anyone else if they disagree with my viewpoint. Although he inflicted that suffering on his people with the weapons we sold him. We profited from what he did.
I completely agree with you Cynic,I was shocked that the BBC showed the pics on the 6 o'clock news. I am no Mary Whitehouse but I was disgusted that this was on TV at teatime. I am glad I am not alone in thinking this.
ReplyDelete