26 August 2011

See You Next Year Green Man!


Well another successful festival later and I am now back at home using my own toilet. The portaloos were cleaned daily and we used the bar allocated ones, but I should admit that a small part of my soul died every time I used them. You may recall that last year the weather was not particularly kind to us and the entire weekend was a bit of a mudfest. Well this year the rain held out and a great time was had by all - even me.


This year we had 2 interns helping us so the workload was so much easier. The day without my intern it took me just over 10 hours to enter all the info from the tills and bar stock, but the day I had her helping me I got that down to six and a half. Not bad. That meant that I not only had more time to focus on my job role I also came back able to speak! Last year my brain was so fried that it took me 3 days to recover and this year I came back as a regular person.


The Festival is held each year in Glanusk Park in the shadow of the Sugarloaf Mountain and the park is very beautiful. The trees there are really old and people live on the land we use. I think they generally either just board up their houses and go on holiday until it's over, or they settle in to enjoy the festival. The mornings were stunning with the clouds often pouring over the mountain but it was so hard to capture it on camera and none of my photos really do it justice.


Although I don't usually get to see much of the festival as I'm working in a cold stone room, on BBF's recommendation I did manage to see the Sunday night headliners Iron and Wine who were brilliant (I'd never heard of them but I'm not that into music preferring film instead so that wasn't surprising)


Their set was so good that the entire arena just sat there mesmerised. I looked round at one point to see our entire team had all turned up and we all sat there together having a smoke and a drink and listened to the set together. This has never happened before as we're usually all off doing different things so it was a lovely way to end the festival.


I had my BunKabin as per last year so I didn't mention that I had a radiator when they all complained of suffering a freezing night. It just wouldn't have been sporting of me. I'm now back, have anti-bacterialised my laptop, had a haircut (booked it in before I went dontcha know), been to see a film (Cowboys & Aliens), have accessed and taken full advantage of my hair and beauty products, caught up with some friends, had a decent cup of coffee, been out to dinner and slept soundly in my own bed. 

It was my most enjoyable festival so far but damn, it's good to be back.

1 comment:

  1. The weather makes all the difference, doesn't it? Fun to have a summer gig, even if it involves portable toilets.

    Freezing at night in August? Can't wait for summer to be over in Vegas - 100F+ for the last month. Come on, already.

    ReplyDelete

Waddaya think?