A few weeks ago I read somewhere about this website where people posted the best things that happened to them that day. I guess it's a similar thing to the whole 'being grateful' ethos where you give thanks for all the things you have yada yada.
Although I thought it was a bit lala, I've been trying to be less sceptical recently and decided to do my own version. I've decided that it's all fair and well complaining, bitching, and taking the piss, and I'll definitely still be doing it, but sometimes the last thing people need is someone making everything worse. I'm not going to turn into an irritating happy clapper as it's simply not in my nature, but I am going to try and be a bit more positive - because positive things seems to happen when I am.
Anyway, since the 11th December, I've been keeping a little notebook by my bed and each night I write down the 3 best things that happened to me that day. I've actually really enjoyed doing it as it's made me look back over the day and pick out the good bits - one day the best thing I could think of was that I hadn't fallen over on the ice, but some days I can think of more than 3 good things!
It's started to become part of my daily routine and I think it's making a small difference to the way I look at things. Although I can also remember the shitty things that day, writing the good things down seems to cement them more somehow.
Random examples have been:
- Being treated to coffee and cake by someone I helped to get work
- The day I made bread, chocolate truffles and peppermint creams
- My oldest friend visiting and helping me explore my new neighbourhood
- Spending a whole day over Christmas in my jamas
- Firing a client
- Signing up to a Pilates course
It's nice to look back at all the entries when I'm feeling a bit shit and I highly recommend doing it. Sometimes it's easy to just think that your life is a bit rubbish, but when you have to write down the best things that happened that day, you realise that actually it's not.

Today I went to get blood drawn for lab work in advance of a doctor's appointment next week. I got up in plenty of time but I got engrossed in some useless thing and when I went out the truck was encased in frost. I got in and turned on the blower to blow eventually warm air. After a while I noticed nothing was really happening with the heat. They I realized last week when Lenny and I were coming back from a small trip we took he had turned the heat knob and the only way to turn it back for me [fingers that don't work well at clasping things tightly] was to get a pair of pliers. I didn't want to go back in and find those so I took my hands out of my gloves and lay them up against the windshield and they started a little melt in 2 places. Five minutes later I left. They I worried about being late but I got there right on the dot.
ReplyDeleteThen I got to sit there for 15 minutes waiting for the surly lab tech who has worked there for 12 of the 19 years I've seen this doctor. It's usually a wordless encounter with a man who seemed obviously to want to NOT be there.
Today a woman came out and took me to the lab and she was younger and smiling and brighter, chatting me up. He came in and he's got a smile on his face and is chatting and laughing in a good natured way.
Those are the things that happened to me today that started out bad and became good.
If you are heading too far into the land of the happy clappy, I recommend... gin.xx
ReplyDelete