14 March 2010

Fidelity - Dead in The Water?

I not only think that people who have affairs are despicable; I also think that women who have affairs with married men are beneath contempt. It is so painful to be cheated on that I'm amazed someone can happily inflict that on someone else. They come up with all kinds of excuses: "we're in love", "his wife doesn't understand him", "he doesn't love her"; when really they're just deluded. 

He will never leave his wife for you and if he cheated on his wife, then he'll cheat on you too - and your behaviour demonstrates that you're also a mercenary tart.It's been hard to avoid the epidemic of cheaters in the press lately; both men and women who appear unable to keep their pants on and their morals intact. What's disgusted me however, is the arguments trying to justify it.


In my opinion, the only time an affair is fine is if you and your partner have agreed that you can BOTH see other people - otherwise you're actually just a deceitful liar trying to make your grubby behaviour acceptable. I may seem very holier-than-thou and viewing the matter in a very black and white state, but to me it's always been quite simple: if you loved someone enough to marry them, and you stood there in front of your family, friends and your God and made a promise, then you should keep that promise. and if you can't then you should leave them so they can find someone better.

From reading the many articles in the press lately it seems that everyone is at it - I read this article in the Guardian yesterday from the nasty piece of work that is Julie Powell trying to convince us that her dirty affair was the making of her marriage. Really? an affair is not how I'd go about creating a solid relationship personally, but she seems to think it's fine to not only cheat on her husband, but then to write a book about it and make money from her lack of principles.

You can clearly see that I feel very strongly about this subject - as far as I'm concerned, if you want to sleep with other people then you should leave your partner, and if you start to even think that you might want to sleep with someone else then you need to work on your relationship. I don't share my toys, and if any boyfriend cheats on me then he is gone - I'm far better off without the idiot and his apologies are just to make himself feel better not me.

I'm actually shocked and depressed by such high levels of infidelity; is it that people simply think they're entitled to do what they like at the expense of others? (people they claim to love) is it that they're so insecure and self-involved they need constant reassurance that they're amazing, witty, charming, or desirable? Or is it that they simply don't give a shit and they'll just do whatever they like then be 'really, really sorry' when they're caught and try to claim it was partly the other persons fault? 

I've seen people come up with all sorts of reasons of how a marriage might benefit from an affair; but to me it is a huge betrayal and any attempt at reasoning is just bullshit. ('sometimes it takes an infidelity to realise how much you love your parter' - too bad, you should have given it some thought earlier you loser) A marriage is a serious thing and if you renege on your promise to that person and cheat on them without having the decency to leave them, then in my opinion that makes you a bit of a shit. 


5 comments:

  1. for my father (who cheated on my mother 18 out of their 22 years of marriage) it was ALL about having his ego constantly stroked. which my mother couldnt do because she was a depressive. They divorced and he took up house with one of his mistresses. Rare, i know, that the mistress gets the man from the wife but...it's no fairytale for her!

    She KNOWS to keep him on a short leash:calls him every thirty minutes to see who he is with--wakes him up at midnight to ask who he was on the phone with earier. She drives him nuts. She knows his history.
    He made his bed and he has to sleep in it. ha!
    truly, of course i dont take this all as a joke. it was painful for my mom and my sister and i. very painful.
    one big mistake i think people make :they need to fucking love themselves before they get married! you can't expect your significant other to provide all the love coming at you or else....if they fail for a moment (say fall into a depression) then your eyes begin to wander...because you dont have the love for yourself to fill in the gap. long response, sorry, its just something i have a lot of thoughts on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Propoquerian - like the name! Your Dad (although a nice fella I'm sure) also sounds like a bit of an idiot. I'm always amazed at people who seem to purposely ruin their own happiness when other people would give their right arm for what they have.

    I completely agree with your conclusion to one of the many reasons why people cheat. They always seem to try & justify it to themselves & to us. I've never really heard a story where a cheater just says "Look, I'm simply a selfish arsehole & I like the attention so fuck you" It's always 'poor me, my parents divorced when I was young so now I have to act like a twat' or 'you were too busy raising our 3 children to pander to my every whim any more & I'm such a big baby I can't cope with the lack of attention' - sometimes things aren't grey, they're as simple as they can be.

    PS - how did you come across my blog? x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite myself and my mind I have never been unfaithful to anyone. However what do you call unfaithful? If both of you agree that something is acceptable does that still make you unfaithful.? Sometimes life gets a little strange.
    I agree that anything that causes such pain to another is wrong. Those are the values I try to live by. As long as you don't hurt anyone or yourself , go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only despicable thing in this scenario is the press writing it all up, as if it were other people's business.

    Depending on another for your own contentment... well, don't be surprised.

    Hillary Clinton knew going in she had an oversexed husband. But he's also very exciting. Why sit and sulk, when you can go along for the ride? I'm sure she has trysts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is the truly niave mistress who thinks she can have a happy marriage with the man she cheated with when he was married. Same in the reverse. The only way to have a LTR relationship with a married, or committed person is to consider them as your tool.

    Few people of either sex is that distant. You always begin to care for the person you are having sex with, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete

Waddaya think?