30 June 2009

Not an Altogether Unpleasant Experience

Well I must say that I've been LOVING freelancing! Unless I have a meeting or a networking event then I get up when I like; I stay up until the early hours (I've never been a morning person so nearly 3 years of starting work at 8am wasn't that fun) and I arrange my life how I want it.

I have actually been working many more hours than I would previously as it's now my business; although I often put in 10 hours or more, it doesn't feel like work when you're loving what you're doing. I spend a lot of time in my living room whilst the sun streams through the open door from the garden, and if I'm working on something routine then I'll even have the telly on!

It's been a new experience to have to organise my time actually; like most people I worked set hours but now I can choose to work all night and sunbathe all day, I can work from a coffee shop, the park or the pub, I can wear what I like, and I can schedule my own time - it's taking me a while to get used to it, but I have to say, It's not an unpleasant experience!


I'm freelancing at 5 festivals this summer; I'll be working from around 2 in the morning until midday so I'm hoping to get a brilliant tan. I don't think I've had a tan since I started working in an office (previous to that I worked in hospitality and mostly worked evenings as the hours suited me) so I haven't been too worried about getting out in this heat - plus I've seen all the red-faced idiots walking around... sunburned is not a good look!

I've been surprised at how quickly my business has taken off actually; I have quite a bit of work already - although I don't believe in having too much! Come mid-September, the festivals will be finished and I'll need to have enough work to support myself entirely. I also have to move at the end of August so there's the additional cost that comes with that.

Overall though, it's started off well, I've had a lot of interest, more work than I'd hoped for at this point and if it carries on like this, then I'll be fine!


1 comment:

  1. Fantastic!! Sounds like you definitely did the right thing. Hope that girl in your old office is reading this and feeling sick as a pig as she swelters.Well done you! S

    ReplyDelete

Waddaya think?