
As you know it's pancake day today; well I guess it's officially Shrove Tuesday and the day before lent but, as I'm not religious, for me it's basically a day of eating egg-based produce.
I generally don't really notice or mind that I'm single a lot of the time; but as vocalised in one of my Christmas posts, there are certain occasions where I almost wish I had a family around me; today I will be making pancakes with my flatmate, but most of the time I don't get to partake in family / kiddy occasions which look kind of fun as my family live quite a distance away and well, because I don't have any children!
I don't have a roast on a Sunday as there's no point making one for just me (though I sometimes go the pub for one as I hate cooking) and I don't usually have pancakes on Shrove Tuesday as they're more fun when cooked with children or other people - some of my clearest memories are my Mum's fiasco's with the pancake either sticking to the ceiling or falling back on to the hob and being set alight. She wasn't much of a cook either!
So even though I've never wanted to have children, I can see it must be really nice to share the experiences that were passed on to you when you were small; of helping create memories that will stay with someone their whole lives; whether that be making pancakes, filling stockings for Christmas, baking at Thanksgiving or painting eggs for Easter.
So there's nothing else for it; I'm just going to have to find my brother a girlfriend so I can eventually borrow his!
I love my children, and as you said I enjoyed sharing traditions with them, but I can understand why someone wouldn't mind being single and childless!
ReplyDeleteThere are days when I would quite happily not have kids around!! I know what you mean though. It is a good feeling when you hand down traditions that you grew up with. S
ReplyDelete